Wondering if the First State should come first in your education? Check out this quick guide to earning a DE data science degree. Here you’ll find info on research groups, online degrees, scholarships, events, meetups, and jobs. Already loyal to the Blue Hens? Skip ahead to our list of all the data science programs in Delaware.
adFeatured Online Programs
Start your search with respected programs recruiting students from around the US.
More InfoSyracuse University
* GRE waivers are available.
More InfoSouthern Methodist University
* GRE waivers available for experienced applicants
More InfoAmerican University
More InfoSyracuse University
More InfoUniversity of California-Berkeley
More InfoSyracuse University
More InfoGeorge Washington University
Studying Data Science in Delaware
In the land of big data, Delaware is often overshadowed by its neighbors. Demand certainly exists – in 2017, the map of CompTIA Cyber States noted that 4.3% of the workforce was employed in tech industries – but Wilmington and Newark don’t have as much of a reputation for data science as, say, Philadelphia and D.C.
This could change. The Delaware Technology Park is swarming with promising companies, financial tech continues to be a huge economic driver, and First State Innovation (FSI) is eager to help new businesses find angel & seed capital. Both the public and private sectors are supportive of entrepreneurship, and the state is a powerhouse of innovation (#13 in the country according to CompTIA’s ranking).
Data Science Research & Initiatives at Delaware Universities
Another major asset? The University of Delaware (UD). Many of its departments have deep roots in data, and UD is the only school you’ll see in our list of data science programs. Depending on your degree, you might work with academics in:
- The Center for Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (CBCB) and the Delaware Biotechnology Institute (DBI). UD is well-known for its strength in bioscience and the CBCB is collaborating with regional biotech companies on some heady research. Meanwhile, DBI is working on tech solutions in agriculture, energy & environment, and human health.
- The Lerner College of Business and Economics. Lerner has the Center for Applied Business & Economics Research, the Institute for Financial Services Analytics, and all kinds of graduate programs with a data-focused agenda. It also runs the Geltzeiler Trading Center and the JPMorgan Chase Innovation Center – experiential programs that give students hands-on experiences in financial tech projects.
- The Department of Computer and Information Sciences and its many core research areas. In the AI labs, for example, you’ll find projects in human language, vision, text mining, and statistical information retrieval.
- The Department of Applied Economics and Statistics with its research centers in economic and consumer behavior, decision analysis, agriculture, and the environment.
Online Data Science Programs in Delaware
The University of Delaware has a couple of distance learning options, which you can assess by glancing at our tips on what to look for in an online data science program.
Online Graduate Certificates in Data Science
Offered by the Center for Bioinformatics & Computational Biology (CBCB), UD’s online Graduate Certificate in Applied Bioinformatics is designed for working professionals.
In addition to being drilled in core competencies, you’ll gain exposure to real-world applications in fields such as genomic medicine, pharmaceuticals, healthcare, and agriculture. And you can earn graduate-level college credits for an MS or PhD.
Online Master’s Degrees in Data Science
UD’s online Master of Science in Applied Statistics is run by the data science & stats experts in the Department of Applied Economics and Statistics. It’s a little heavy on statistical theory, but it still includes exposure to key software tools such as SAS, JMP, and R.
Data Science Scholarships in Delaware
For this section, we chose to focus on UD aid that could be applied to the data programs in our directory. But the bucks don’t stop here! The Office of Graduate and Professional Education has an entire section on funding opportunities, including info on general UD assistantships & scholarships.
University of Delaware
- Lerner College Corporate Associates Program: This generous internship program gives Lerner College graduate students the chance to work 20 hours per week for a top corporate employer. In return, students receive a stipend of $9,000 per term and a 50% tuition scholarship.
- MBA Graduate Assistantships: Assistantships are offered to exceptionally qualified full-time applicants. Most assistantships are partial – in return for 10 hours of work per week, students receive a $4,500 stipend per term and 50% tuition scholarship in the fall & spring semesters. No separate application form is required.
- MBA Graduate Scholarships: Exceptional full-time MBA students (e.g. MBA in Business Analytics) are automatically eligible for two-year graduate scholarships that cover up to 50% of tuition. No separate application form is required.
- MS in Bioinformatics & Computational Biology Graduate Assistantships: Students in the BICB-MS program are eligible for teaching & research assistantships. In return for ~20 hours of work per week, TAs and RAs receive full tuition and a stipend.
- PSM in Bioinformatics Industry Internships: Professional master’s students are eligible for paid internships. These tend to be available from industry partners (e.g. DuPont), government agencies, and other participating institutions.
Data Science Events in Delaware
Data Science Meetups & Communities in Delaware
We’ll tell you true – Philadelphia is a much better bet for data science meetups. If you can’t bear the thought of crossing the state line, many tech aficionados in the Newark & Wilmington area belong to the following groups…
- Delaware Tech Meetup: Though it’s not devoted to data science per se, this Wilmington group is a place to talk about local tech initiatives, network with startup founders, and share ideas. It meets on the 3rd Thursday of each month.
- Open Data Delaware (ODD): ODD is a group of enthusiastic, civic-minded tech geeks who collaborate on big data/open data projects for local Delaware communities. It meets every week in Wilmington.
- Technical.ly Delaware (TD): TD’s motto is “Better cities through technology,” and its Wilmington meetup is a smorgasbord of entrepreneurship panels, tech job fairs, civic app demos, and the like.
- Technology Forum of Delaware (TFOD) Events: TFOD is an association of high-flying corporate executives, entrepreneurs, and technology leaders in Delaware. It often hosts events on Emerging Technologies and the informal meetups may be great places to meet your next employer!
Data Science Conferences & Workshops in Delaware
Major data science conferences (e.g. Strata+Hadoop World, Predictive Analytics World, and SIGKDD) rarely visit Delaware. However, if you’re in the Wilmington area, you’re right next to events in Philadelphia and not far from Baltimore and Washington, D.C. Local options also include:
- Analytics & Technology (A&T) Summit: Hosted by KA Analytics, a well-known Wilmington company, this is a super-focused business conference embracing all aspects of data science. Think Business Intelligence (BI), data mining, predictive analytics, cloud computing, fintech, and the like.
- Delaware Data Science Symposium: UD’s signature event brings together academics and researchers from every UD department imaginable. The schedule includes presentations from UD researchers, keynote speakers from other institutions, and breakout sessions.
- Delaware Innovation Week: Organized by Technical.ly, DIW is the state’s celebration of tech & innovation. There’s usually an open data challenge, a startup weekend, innovation events, and lots of mini-conferences (e.g. Business, Women in STEM, etc.). Tech2gether takes place during this week.
- Start It Up Delaware (SIUD) Events: SIUD is a coworking space & idea generator in Wilmington. Browse its calendar if you’re interested in working for – or starting your own – early-stage tech business.
- Tech2gether: Held in Wilmington, this popular conference attracts data scientists from throughout the tri-state region. In 2016, tracks focused on Machine Learning, fintech, and entrepreneurship. College students from the Philadelphia and Delaware regions can also participate in the annual pitch competition.
Data Science Jobs in Delaware
A brief squint at Global Delaware’s list of key industries will give you an overview of the state’s employment landscape, including opportunities in:
- Banking, Finance & Insurance: Global Delaware claims this sector is the largest generator of economic activity. It’s probably true, because big hitters such as Barclays Bank, JPMorgan Chase, Citigroup, and Wells Fargo are often advertising for data scientists & analysts in the DE area.
- Bioscience: The Delaware BioScience Association will happily inform you that the tri-state region represents 80% of the U.S. pharmaceuticals industry (AstraZeneca is based in Wilmington). Plus, we’ve already mentioned all the work at the CBCB and the DBI. If biodata is your one true love, be sure to attend the annual Delaware Bio Career Fair.
- Multinationals: Wilmington is home to a branch of Agilent Technologies and, famously, DuPont’s corporate research center and headquarters. Newark plays host to the international manufacturer W. L. Gore & Associates and Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics.
- Tech: DTP’s list of information technology companies and Technical.ly’s job board and its directory of tech organizations are useful places to visit. Even if you don’t see a data science job posted, it never hurts to contact the company directly.
Finally, we should mention that for legal and financial reasons, tech startups often incorporate in Delaware. This doesn’t mean they’re physically based in Delaware; it just means that they’re favoring Delaware’s corporate laws and regulations.
Data Scientist Salaries in Delaware
In 2017, Indeed.com listed the average salary for a data scientist as $107,533 in Newark and $114,312 in Wilmington. Because these cities are so close to PA, Glassdoor lumped these cities into its Philadelphia statistics.
Indeed’s figures are pretty strong, but we would caution that it’s working off a limited number of data points. In general, financial companies and multinationals are likely to pay well for talent; research groups may ask you to work for the glory!
We found 1 university in Delaware offering Masters of Data Science programs (and/or closely related programs, like MS in Analytics / Masters in Business Analytics).
If you represent a university and would like to contact us about editing any of our listings, or adding new programs, please send an email to info (at) mastersindatascience.org.