Data science programs offered by universities outside of the United States vary. If you’re considering studying data science abroad, it’s best to investigate programs individually as your personal interests and circumstances dictate.
Why Go Abroad?
Reasons to pursue graduate study in data science outside the United States may include:
- You want to see another part of the world. Stating the obvious here. Maybe you missed out on the study abroad experience as an undergrad, or maybe you’re just keen to live in another country for a more extended period of time. Either way, graduate study could be a fine excuse for a change of scenery.
- It’s possible to get a great education for a great price. Graduate school in countries such as Spain, France, Germany, and Singapore may cost less of what a comparable program would run you in the United States.
- You seek an international perspective. If a degree program in a non-English-speaking country offers instruction in English, that’s a good indication that it’s catering to an international clientele. Your classmates in such a program may come from all over the world, and the global perspective you’ll gain could prove advantageous on the international job market.
Other Things to Think About
- Language of instruction. If a program’s website provides information in English, chances are good that instruction is in English, too. There are exceptions, though, so verify—before getting your heart set on a particular program—that you’d be able to understand the lectures.
- Admissions requirements. Pay particular attention to the education expected of incoming students. It may take more in-depth study to earn a major abroad than it does in the United States, so don’t just assume that, as long as you majored in one of the disciplines listed, you’re set. Look for or inquire about specific prerequisite coursework to make sure you won’t start out behind.
- Cost. Yes, graduate school can be cheaper in some foreign countries, but not in all of them. So do your research, and remember to factor in exchange rates and travel expenses.
Last updated: January 2021
Interested in STEM Careers?
If you’re looking for information on career paths that involve STEM, see our guides below:
Data Science and Analytics Careers:
- Data Scientist
- Data Architect
- Data Engineer
- Data Analyst
- Business Analyst
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Financial Analyst
- Quantitative Analyst
Computer Science, Computer Engineering and Information Careers:
- Computer Engineer
- Computer Scientist
- Information Security Analyst
- Computer and Information Research Scientist
- Computer Systems Analyst
Marketing and User Research Careers:
Compare Careers and STEM Fields:
- Data Analyst vs Data Scientist
- Computer Science vs. Computer Engineering
- Cybersecurity vs. Computer Science
- Data Analytics vs. Business Analytics
- Data Science vs. Machine Learning
Related Graduate STEM Degrees
- Master’s in Business Analytics
- Master’s in Information Systems
- Master’s in Computer Engineering
- Master’s in Computer Science
- Master’s in Cybersecurity Programs
- Master’s in Accounting Analytics
- Master’s Applied Statistics
- Master’s in Business Intelligence
- Master’s in Data Analytics for Public Policy
- Data Science MBA Programs
- Master’s in Geospatial Science and
- Geographic Information Systems
- Master’s in Health Informatics
- Master of Library and Information Science
Related Undergraduate STEM Degrees
- Online Bachelor’s in Data Science
- Online Bachelor’s in Computer Science
- Sponsored: Computer Science at Simmons
We found 89 non-US universities in our directory offering graduate-level programs in data science and related specialties. If you represent a university and would like to contact us about editing any of our listings, or adding new programs, please send an email to email@example.com.
Looking for on-campus programs? See the full list of on-campus programs.
Data ScienceTech Institute
De Montfort University
IE School of Human Sciences and Technology
Institute of Technology Blanchardstown
James Cook University
Southern Cross University
University of Strathclyde
Looking for online programs? See the full list of online programs.