If you’re considering pursuing a graduate degree in data science, you’ll find there are hundreds of options to explore. And since “data science” can exist under multiple names, it can be easy to miss what you’re looking for. We’ve sorted through several sources to create a comprehensive directory of programs and data science degrees in the United States.
The directory below includes state-by-state facts like the number of schools offering a data science degree, the different specializations available 1 and the mean salary of data science professionals. Explore each state page for more information about individual programs and links to each curriculum, cost information and application pages.
For international programs, see our list of data science programs outside the US.
If you have any additional programs to suggest, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn MoreSyracuse University
* No GRE Scores Required
Learn MoreSouthern Methodist University
* GRE waivers available for applicants with 3+ years work experience.
Learn MoreUniversity of Denver
Learn MoreUniversity of California, Berkeley
* No GRE Scores Required
Learn MoreUniversity of Dayton
Learn MoreAmerican University
Learn MorePepperdine University
Data Science Graduate Degrees by State
Data Science Graduate Degrees by Type
Another way to search for data science graduate degrees is by specialty area. For prospective students who know what they want out of a degree, here’s a list of programs by type.
Program Lists by Type:
- Data Science Degrees Online
- Computer Engineering Degrees Online
- Computer Science Degrees Online
- Cybersecurity Degrees Online
- Online Business Analytics/MS in Analytics Degrees
- Online Analytics Certificates
- Online PhD in Data Science Programs
- Online MS in Information Systems Programs
- Online MS in Business Intelligence Programs
- Online analytics-focused MBA Programs
Top 23 Schools
Looking for our short list? We interviewed 13 faculty members to learn what makes a successful program and are sharing the results. Check out the annotated list of top schools and find the following information about each program:
- Location and length.
- Full-time, part-time and online options.
- Concentrations and/or majors.
- Courses, internships and real-world opportunities.
1 Program types are not mutually exclusive.
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor. “May 2018 State Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates.” Accessed February 5, 2020. https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oessrcst.htm
State Occupational Projections, Projections Managing Partnership. “Long-Term Occupational Projections (2016-2026).” Accessed February 6, 2020. https://projectionscentral.com/Projections/LongTerm
Interested in STEM Careers?
If you’re looking for information on career paths that involve STEM, see our guides below:
Data Science and Analytics Careers:
- Data Scientist
- Data Architect
- Data Engineer
- Data Analyst
- Business Analyst
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Financial Analyst
- Quantitative Analyst
Computer Science, Computer Engineering and Information Careers:
- Computer Engineer
- Computer Scientist
- Information Security Analyst
- Computer and Information Research Scientist
- Computer Systems Analyst
Marketing and User Research Careers:
Compare Careers and STEM Fields:
- Data Analyst vs Data Scientist
- Computer Science vs. Computer Engineering
- Cybersecurity vs. Computer Science
- Data Analytics vs. Business Analytics
- Data Science vs. Machine Learning
Related Graduate STEM Degrees
- Master’s in Business Analytics
- Master’s in Information Systems
- Master’s in Computer Engineering
- Master’s in Computer Science
- Master’s in Cybersecurity Programs
- Master’s in Accounting Analytics
- Master’s Applied Statistics
- Master’s in Business Intelligence
- Master’s in Data Analytics for Public Policy
- Data Science MBA Programs
- Master’s in Geospatial Science and
- Geographic Information Systems
- Master’s in Health Informatics
- Master of Library and Information Science