If you’re considering life among the Green Mountains, skim through our guide to earning a VT data science degree. It has details on UVM research projects and useful conferences as well as scholarships and job options.
* No GRE Scores RequiredLearn More
Southern Methodist University
* No GRE required.Learn More
University of Denver
* No GRE required.Learn More
University of California, Berkeley
* No GRE Scores Required
1Fortune Education, Best Online Masters In Data Science Programs 2022Learn More
University of Dayton
* No GRE/GMAT required to apply.Learn More
* No GMAT/GRE required to apply.Learn More
* GMAT score not required to applyLearn More
Just want to enroll? Skip ahead to our list of all the data science programs in Vermont.
Studying Data Science in Vermont
For a state of fewer than one million people, Vermont does pretty well in the data department. A solid 5.o% of the state’s workforce is in the technology sector, according to CompTIA in 2022.
The main reason for these numbers? Burlington.
- Supported by boosters like BTV Ignite and the Vermont Technology Alliance (vtTA), the city is marketing itself as a big data center with a clean & green feel. It was the first in the country to use 100% renewable energy for its residents’ electricity needs.
- Successful companies like Dealer.com (bought by Dealertrack), the University of Vermont (UVM)’s sturdy presence, and startups in co-working spaces have given it a reputation for digital smarts.
- And the Vermont Center for Emerging Technologies (VCET), which provides venture funding and mentoring, will be more than happy to tell you about their work.
Don’t get us wrong – a quick glance at the map of CompTIA’s Cyberstates will tell you that Vermont is still playing catch-up to tech sectors in New Hampshire and Massachusetts.
Data Science Research & Initiatives at Vermont Universities
UVM is one option for degree programs, and its College of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences (CEMS) has a large stake in data science:
- The Vermont Complex Systems Center is the home of a number of active labs in big data and it regularly organizes events & seminars.
- Faculty in the Department of Mathematics & Statistics are working on plenty of research topics surrounding biostatistics, statistics, and analysis.
- The Vermont Advanced Computing Core (VACC) gives UVM students access to high-powered, complex computation resources.
Online Data Science Programs in Vermont
As of 2020, UVM’s Continuing and Distance Education offers plenty of online courses & programs, but nothing in the realm of data science. Hop over to our directory of online graduate certificates and online master’s degrees for programs offered by top-name schools (e.g. Stanford) around the country.
Data Science Bootcamps in Vermont
In Vermont and interested in starting a career in data science or data analytics? Consider attending a bootcamp! Data science and data analytics bootcamps are short-term, intensive educational courses meant to quickly prepare students for the field. Bootcamps in Vermont may be dedicated to data science, the study of how knowledge is drawn from raw data; data analytics, the processes by which specific insights are derived; or both data science and data analytics. See our guides to learn more about data science bootcamps or data analytics bootcamps in Vermont.
Data Science Scholarships in Vermont
For this section, we’ve only highlighted UVM scholarships that could apply to its data science programs. However, UVM’s website on Funding Your Graduate Degree has more info on general assistantships and alternative financing options. Check it out!
University of Vermont
- CA Technologies Fellowship: This fellowship is designed for applicants who are committed to advancing women and girls in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) fields. It provides tuition and stipend for UVM’s MS in Complex Systems and Data Science and gives fellows the opportunity to collaborate with CA Technologies.
- Diversity in CEMS Scholarship: This merit-based scholarship is open to graduate students from underrepresented groups who enroll in a College of Engineering and Mathematical Science program (e.g. MS in Complex Systems and Data Science). Applicants must demonstrate high levels of academic success and potential in related fields of study and can receive up to $10,000.
Data Science Events in Vermont
Data Science Meetups & Communities in Vermont
Burlington has many data science meetups, but the NH border also offers possibilities. You may find more networking ideas on vtTA’s list of tech business and startup resources and LaunchVT’s list of Community Resources. Both are packed with links to tech associations, funding sources, meetups, conferences, and education programs.
- Burlington Data Scientists: Tons of members, plenty of workshops, and a slew of great speakers make for the state’s most popular meetup. It’s open to anyone who loves the field – students, statisticians, and data science professionals.
- Vermont Tableau Users Group: Meetings explore pretty much everything to do with Tableau software -visualization, mapping, data sources, predictive analytics – and all skill levels are welcome. It’s based in Burlington.
- VT Women in Machine Learning and Data Science: Born in 2017, this is a local chapter of the nationalWomen in Machine Learning and Data Science (WiMLDS) organization.
Data Science Conferences & Workshops in Vermont
The Green Mountain State has a number tech events, though nothing in the realm of Predictive Analytics World (PAW) and SIGKDD. If you’re willing to travel, there are usually great data science conferences in Montreal and Boston.
- LaunchVT: Billed as Vermont’s oldest and largest business pitch contest, LaunchVT is powered by the Lake Champlain Regional Chamber of Commerce. Winners receive cash awards and in-kind support.
- UVM I2V Conference: The Invention2Venture conference is devoted to helping innovators protect, develop, and finance their ideas. Attendees are a mix of experts, academics, students, and entrepreneurs. It’s run by the University of Vermont, the Vermont Technology Council, and the Vermont Center for Emerging Technologies.
- Vermont Tech Jam: This popular Burlington career fair/tech expo showcases the state’s most innovative tech and bioscience companies.
- VT Web Marketing Summit: Sponsored by Curve Trends Marketing, this one-day summit covers all aspects of digital marketing (e.g. trends, strategies, challenges, etc.).
Data Science Jobs in Vermont
You’ll find a diverse range of positions from a wide range of digital firms, startups, and traditional institutions in Vermont.
- Digital: One player in Vermont is Dealer.com – which still has a sizable presence in Burlington. We could also mention companies like IXIS Digital (digital strategy), New Breed Marketing (inbound marketing), Curve Trends Marketing (digital marketing), and Vermont Information Processing (beverage industry software and hardware).
- Startups: VCET’s portfolio and AngelList’s list ofVermont startups will give you some idea of the territory.
- Traditional Sectors: If academic positions in data science at UVM don’t take your fancy, you may also find that the city government, the UVM Medical Center and Health Network, and Champlain College are in need of your skills. Tourism is also significant in the state.
Data Scientist Salaries in Vermont
According to data from the O*NET OnLine in 2020, data scientists made an average $98,230 per year in Vermont.
Last updated: April 2022
Interested in STEM Careers?
If you’re looking for information on career paths that involve STEM, see our guides below:
Data Science and Analytics Careers:
- Data Scientist
- Data Architect
- Data Engineer
- Data Analyst
- Business Analyst
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Financial Analyst
- Quantitative Analyst
Computer Science, Computer Engineering and Information Careers:
- Computer Engineer
- Computer Scientist
- Information Security Analyst
- Computer and Information Research Scientist
- Computer Systems Analyst
Marketing and User Research Careers:
Compare Careers and STEM Fields:
- Data Analyst vs Data Scientist
- Computer Science vs. Computer Engineering
- Cybersecurity vs. Computer Science
- Data Analytics vs. Business Analytics
- Data Science vs. Machine Learning
Related Graduate STEM Degrees
- Master’s in Business Analytics
- Master’s in Information Systems
- Master’s in Computer Engineering
- Master’s in Computer Science
- Master’s in Cybersecurity Programs
- Master’s in Accounting Analytics
- Master’s Applied Statistics
- Master’s in Business Intelligence
- Master’s in Data Analytics for Public Policy
- Data Science MBA Programs
- Master’s in Geospatial Science and
- Geographic Information Systems
- Master’s in Health Informatics
- Master of Library and Information Science
Related Undergraduate STEM Degrees
- Online Bachelor’s in Data Science
- Online Bachelor’s in Computer Science
- Sponsored: Computer Science at Simmons
Data Science Programs in Vermont
We found 1 university in Vermont offering Masters of Data Science programs (and/or closely related programs, like MS in Analytics / Masters in Business Analytics).
If you represent a university and would like to contact us about editing any of our listings, or adding new programs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This page includes information from O*NET OnLine by the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under the CC BY 4.0 license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.