If you’re thinking of life in Portlandia, glance through our guide to earning an Oregon data science degree. It has details on everything from university research & scholarships to meetups, conferences, and job opportunities.
* No GRE Scores RequiredLearn More
Southern Methodist University
* No GRE required.Learn More
University of Denver
* No GRE required.Learn More
University of California, Berkeley
* No GRE Scores RequiredLearn More
University of Dayton
* GMAT waivers are available to professionals with at least three years of business experience.Learn More
* No GMAT/GRE required to apply.Learn More
* GMAT waivers are available for qualified applicants.Learn More
Already have a university in mind? Skip ahead to our list of all the data science programs in Oregon.
Studying Data Science in Oregon
Aspiring data scientists in the Beaver State may be interested to know:.
- There are plenty of startups in Portland, and organizations like the Technology Association of Oregon (TAO) are busy promoting entrepreneurship and tech education.
- According to CBRE figures, Portland ranked #7 in 2019 for tech talent momentum.
Data Science Research & Initiatives at Oregon Universities
Oregon universities are right behind the state’s drive to improve its big data reputation, with Oregon State University (OSU) leading the way. Just to take a few examples of OSU’s work:
- The School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS) is responsible for a variety of research and boasts many IEEE fellow awards. It has sturdy facilities, weekly colloquiums, and a very active Data Science and Engineering (DSE) group. It also works with the OSU Open Source Lab on projects for organizations such as the Apache Software Foundation, the Linux Foundation, and Drupal.
- The Department of Statistics runs the big data-fed Survey Research Center and its numerous faculty members are working on diverse research projects in areas like statistical genetics, biostatistics, and data analysis.
- The Center for Genome Research and Biocomputing (CGRB) is the node of genome-enabled and data research at the university. It’s in charge of the CGRB Biocomputing and Bioinformatics facility and it organizes all kinds of seminars, internships, technology workshops, and annual conferences.
Portland State University (PSU/PDX) is another strong contender:
- The Department of Computer Science has a smorgasbord of research labs in areas like AI, databases, and computer security.
- If you love logistics & transportation, then be sure to investigate PSU’s Transportation and Research Consortium (TREC).
And we shouldn’t neglect the University of Oregon (UO) in Eugene:
- The Department of Computer Science has a number of relevant research groups (e.g. visualization, HPC, data mining, etc.), with similar research highlights in the Department of Operations and Business Analytics.
Finally, we should talk about health. Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) is the state’s only public academic health & research university and one of the state’s largest employers. With its top 30 U.S. News & World Report ranking for Best Medical Schools: Research ranked in 2020 and its strong Department of Medical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology (DMICE), OHSU is making a name for itself in bioinformatics.
At DMICE, you’ll find:
- The Informatics Discovery Lab, with its emphasis on local partnerships and hands-on training in real-world data.
- Big Data to Knowledge (BD2K) initiatives, including several funded Big Data to Knowledge (BD2K) grants that are focused on enhancing data science training in biomedical research.
It’s also worth looking at the work being done in OHSU’s Pacific Northwest Evidence-based Practice Center (EPC) and the joint OHSU-PNNL Northwest Co-Laboratory for Integrated ‘Omics.
Online Data Science Programs in Oregon
OSU has data-driven distance learning options, but UP and OHSU also have skin in the game. If you’re trying to assess the quality of a program, you may want to run your eye over our checklist of things to look for in an online data science program.
Online Graduate Certificates in Data Science
- Analytics: OSU’s online Graduate Certificate in Data Analytics is a program that will lay a foundation in analytics. Though it’s packed with statistics courses, real-world applications are emphasized.
- Business: Offered by the AASCB-accredited Pamplin School of Business, UP’s Business Analytics Certificate comes in three formats: hybrid, on-campus, or 100% online. As you might expect, it’s focused on corporate applications, with courses in database management, decision modeling, optimization, and business analytics.
- Clinical Informatics: OHSU’s Graduate Certificate in Clinical Informatics can be taken online or on-campus. Aimed at working professionals (e.g. physicians, nurses, healthcare IT professionals, etc.), this program includes core training in biomedical informatics and clinical information systems.
Online Master’s Degrees in Data Science
- Analytics: OSU’s online Master of Science in Data Analytics is a program with coursework in statistics & analytics and big data & machine learning. You’ll have opportunities to tackle genomics, data visualization, data mining, and more. Like the graduate certificate, all courses are taught by full-time OSU faculty members.
- Business: OSU’s hybrid MBA in Business Analytics is offered by the AASCB-accredited College of Business. The program has core coursework in management, markets, financial analysis, and advanced information systems.
- Clinical Informatics: OHSU has multiple CAHIIM-accredited options for healthcare professionals: the Master of Science (MS) or the Master of Biomedical Informatics (MBI) in Clinical Informatics.
Data Science Bootcamps in Oregon
If you’re interested in a career in data science or data analytics, a bootcamp is one way to enter these fields. Data science and data analytics bootcamps are relatively short “crash courses” that quickly help orient students to a new field compared to a master’s program. Bootcamps in Oregon may be exclusively dedicated to data science, the study of how knowledge is derived from information; data analytics, the processes by which specific insights are drawn; or both data science and data analytics. See our guides to learn more about data science bootcamps and data science bootcamps or data analytics bootcamps in Oregon.
Data Science Scholarships in Oregon
For this section, we chose to highlight university scholarships & fellowships that would apply to degrees in our directory. Talk to the university’s Office of Graduate Studies before you make a decision. You may be able to take advantage of in-state rates, low-interest loans, and other “hidden” aid.
Oregon Health & Science University
- National Library of Medicine Fellowship: OHSU is one of 16 programs funded by the National Library of Medicine (NLM), and this generous fellowship is open to PhD students in the OHSU Biomedical Informatics program. It includes a stipend based on the NIH postdoctoral fellowship salary, health insurance, conference travel, and all tuition and fees.
Data Science Events in Oregon
Data Science Meetups & Communities in Oregon
Portland is awash in data science meetups, including specialist groups like Google Development Group (GDG) PDX. Here are some groups you may be interested in:
- Portland Data Science Group: Data collection, mining, retrieval, munging, analysis, and visualization – it’s all here! With 3,700+ members and tons of presentations & informal meetups, this group is a great place for beginners and experts to get their hands dirty.
- PDX Data Engineering: This technical engineering group is focused on data-oriented architectures and use-cases; all levels of expertise are welcome.
- PDX MarTech: “Mar” stands for Marketing, and this friendly Portland group is deeply interested in the intersection of business marketing and technology.
- Portland R User Group: Portland’s local R user group has 1,600+ members and plenty of chances to play around with projects & packages.
- PDX Data Viz: If you love data visualization, monthly talks, and lots of exposure to cool work & techniques, this is the group for you! Meetings have strong speakers and are usually very well-attended.
Data Science Conferences & Workshops in Oregon
Calagator is a unified calendar for the technology community of Portland, and it often lists upcoming data science conferences & workshops. You also have the option to take a few days to hit big events in California and Washington.
- Cascadia R Conference: Founded in 2017, this young conference aims to serve R users in the Cascadia-ish region (Oregon/Washington/BC). Though it’s obviously focused on R, talks on data science and other programming languages are part of the proceedings.
- Oregon Digital Government Summit: ODGS is deliberately aimed at state and local government organizations who want to use tech to implement best practices and spur innovation. We’re talking topics like drones & government, Cloud computing, and the Internet of Things (IoT).
- TechFest NW: Billed as a “Global Tech Conference on the Upper Left Coast,” this Portland event attracts experts in tech, design, entrepreneurship, and innovation (and data scientists).
Data Science Jobs in Oregon
Intel has been a major tech employer in the state for many a year, but it’s not the only big cheese on campus (so to speak). Portland, in particular, is stacked with opportunities:
- It’s in Portland where you’ll find satellite offices of Google, eBay, HP, Salesforce, Airbnb, New Relic, Yieldbot, and more.
- The city hosts the headquarters of data-driven companies like Tripwire, Digital Trends, Vesta Corporation, and Cloudability.
- The Portland Startups List and the Portland Startups-AngelList have tons of links to tech companies and potential investors.
Data Scientist Salaries in Oregon
According to data from the O*NET OnLine in 2019, data scientists made an average $74,110 per year in Oregon.
Last updated: February 2021
Interested in STEM Careers?
If you’re looking for information on career paths that involve STEM, see our guides below:
Data Science and Analytics Careers:
- Data Scientist
- Data Architect
- Data Engineer
- Data Analyst
- Business Analyst
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Financial Analyst
- Quantitative Analyst
Computer Science, Computer Engineering and Information Careers:
- Computer Engineer
- Computer Scientist
- Information Security Analyst
- Computer & Information Research Scientist
- Computer Systems Analyst
Marketing and User Research Careers:
Compare Careers and STEM Fields:
- Data Analyst vs Data Scientist
- Computer Science vs. Computer Engineering
- Cyber Security vs Computer Science
- Data Analytics vs. Business Analytics
- Data Science vs. Machine Learning
Related STEM Degrees
- Master’s in Business Analytics
- Master’s in Information Systems
- Master’s in Computer Engineering
- Master’s in Computer Science
- Master’s in Cyber Security Programs
- Master’s in Accounting Analytics
- Master’s Applied Statistics
- Master’s in Business Intelligence
- Master’s in Data Analytics for Public Policy
- Data Science MBA Programs
- Master’s in Geospatial Science and
- Geographic Information Systems
- Master’s in Health Informatics
- Master of Library and Information Science
Data Science Programs in Oregon
We found 4 universities in Oregon offering Masters of Data Science programs (and/or closely related programs, like MS in Analytics / Masters in Business Analytics).
If you represent a university and would like to contact us about editing any of our listings, or adding new programs, please send an email to email@example.com.