Ann Arbor or Detroit? University of Michigan or Michigan State? We’ve put together a quick guide on everything you need to know—from schools and research to scholarships and job prospects. Already have a university in mind? Feel free to skip ahead to our list of all the data science programs in Michigan.
* No GRE Scores RequiredLearn More
Southern Methodist University
* No GRE required.Learn More
University of Denver
* No GRE required.Learn More
University of California, Berkeley
* No GRE Scores RequiredLearn More
University of Dayton
* No GRE/GMAT required to apply.Learn More
* No GMAT/GRE required to apply.Learn More
* GMAT score not required to applyLearn More
Studying Data Science in Michigan
Michigan has some interesting things going on in the way of data and technology. The Michigan Economic Development Corporation is pumping money into the tech economy; booster organizations like Automation Alley and TechTown Detroit are promoting data-driven accelerators and incubators; and Grow Detroit is attempting to turn Motown into the next Atlanta. Additional developments include the following:
- Ann Arbor has SPARK, which is bolstering start-ups, and the University of Michigan, which is driving investment.
- Detroit has a rash of new start-ups (Grow Detroit has a list of startups). Dan Gilbert, the Quicken Loans king, has invested a lot in his hometown, with the goal of turning downtown into the next big thing.
But keep your eye on the road. Thanks to its history, Michigan is becoming an interesting place to study automotive data science. Ann Arbor’s Mcity is a test site for connected/automated vehicles and systems, and Uber has opened a facility in Detroit to connect with car companies and tier-1 suppliers.
Data Science Research & Initiatives at Michigan Universities
Mcity is a University of Michigan-Ann Arbor initiative—just one of the many that has made the university world-famous. Southeast Michigan has plenty of sturdy tech schools as well.
Here’s how Michigan’s schools are competing (and collaborating) on the big data front:
- University of Michigan-Ann Arbor’s Advanced Research Computing (ARC) facilitates data-intensive research and provides technology & consulting services. ARC is responsible for the Michigan Institute for Data Science (MIDAS), which was built with some of the funds from the school’s $100 million Data Science Initiative (DSI). University of Michigan-Ann Arbor also runs the Big Data Summer Institute, develops new business at the Office of Technology Transfer, and takes part in data-led projects like ICPSR.
- Michigan State University’s Bio/Computational Evolution in Action CONsortium (BEACON) is an NSF Science and Technology Center that unites biologists, computer scientists, and engineers in the study of evolution (e.g. disease, climate change, genetics, etc.). Meanwhile, its Innovation Center is actively involved with technology start-ups.
Even schools outside of Michigan’s University Research Corridor (URC) are getting in on the action. Michigan Tech has traditionally been known for its strength in mechanical engineering, but it’s making a shift to Computation, Data, Electronics, and Sensing research at places like the Michigan Tech Research Institute (MTRI).
In addition, Central Michigan University is throwing its weight behind the CMU Research Corporation (CMURC), a business incubator and accelerator initiative for mid-Michigan companies, and Grand Valley State University is launching itself at big data research projects in places like its Data Inquiry Lab.
Online Data Science Programs in Michigan
Compared to others states (e.g. California and Illinois), Michigan hasn’t developed as many online programs in data science. However, there are some distance options available from campuses in the state.
We cover general things to look for in an online data science program elsewhere, so here we profile your choices in Michigan.
Online Graduate Certificates in Data Science
In the realm of graduate certificates in data science, Michigan State is one option. Its online Master Certificate in Business Analytics is run through the Eli Broad College of Business, and is primarily targeted at professionals who need to master essential data fundamentals and tools.
If you’re beyond this skill level, have a look at our directory of Online Graduate Certificates in Data Science. This has a list of certificates in all kinds of fields (e.g. data mining, analytics, healthcare informatics, etc.) from schools across the country.
Online Master’s Degrees in Data Science
Baker College runs an online MBA in Business Intelligence for managers who wish to understand information systems and IT technologies, but there aren’t many online degree programs in Michigan that tackle advanced technical skills in data science.
Data Science Bootcamps in Michigan
If you’re in Michigan and interested in pursuing a career in either data science and data analytics, you may want to consider completing a bootcamp. Data science and data analytics bootcamps are “crash courses” that can quickly yet effectively introduce students to new fields. While some bootcamps in Michigan focus exclusively on data science, the study of how knowledge is extracted from raw data, others concentrate solely on data analytics, the process of drawing practical conclusions from data. Other bootcamps in Michigan may combine the study of both data science and data analytics. See our guides to learn more about data science bootcamps or data analytics bootcamps in Michigan.
Data Science Scholarships in Michigan
For this section, we focused on university scholarships (i.e. institutional aid) that would cover the school’s data science program. But this isn’t the end! The Graduate Studies Office will have more info on general aid (e.g. diversity scholarships) and alternative financing options (e.g. outside awards or low-interest loans). Money is often available for STEM degrees.
Central Michigan University
- Department of Mathematics Graduate Assistantships: This Department administers the MS in Applied Statistics & Analytics (MSAS), and it has a number of graduate teaching, research & PhD assistantships available to students. Assistants receive tuition waivers and a stipend.
- Graduate Tuition Awards & Scholarships: You may also wish to look into the university’s general graduate tuition awards & scholarships. Residents of Michigan are given in-state tuition rates.
Eastern Michigan University
- College of Business (COB) Scholarships: The COB administers the MBA in Business Analytics and it has a few scholarships open to any MBA major.
- Department of Mathematics Graduate Assistantships: The Department of Mathematics, which administers the MA in Applied Statistics, offers a variety of assistantships to incoming students. Assistants receive tuition scholarships.
- Department of Mathematics Scholarships: The Department of Mathematics also gives a number of awards to students each year. Please check with the Department for specifics on how to apply.
- K.G. Janardan Scholarship: This scholarship is offered by the Department of Mathematics and is specifically awarded to a graduate student in statistics (e.g. MA in Applied Statistics).
Grand Valley State University
- Biostatistics Graduate Assistantships: Grand Valley offers a limited number of assistantships to graduate students.
Michigan State University
- Graduate Assistantships: MSU hands out ~3,000 assistantships per year to qualified graduate students.
- Spartan Innovations Ventures Fellowship: If you’re thinking of a doctorate after you earn your MS, this intriguing PhD fellowship is intended to give MSU graduate students first‐hand business experience in the commercialization of breakthrough technology & start-ups.
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
- Dow Master’s Fellowship: This generous program provides up to $20,000 over one year to support terminal master’s students who are committed to finding interdisciplinary sustainability solutions on local-to-global scales. Students can be pursuing a wide range of majors.
- Funding for Master’s & PhD Students: University of Michigan-Ann Arbor has helpful lists of more general funding opportunities for master’s students and doctoral students.
University of Michigan-Dearborn
- College of Business (COB) Scholarships: The COB administers the MS in Business Analytics and offers a variety of scholarship opportunities..
Data Science Events in Michigan
Data Science Meetups & Communities in Michigan
Southeast Michigan has meetups focused on specific tools (e.g. Michigan Spark Users, Ann Arbor R Users, etc.), interests (e.g. Data+Visualization Detroit), and businesses. Here are 5 you might wish to explore:
- Ann Arbor New Tech: This meetup boasts 7,000+ entrepreneurs, technologists, investors, lawyers, marketers, students, and bloggers who are interested in local high-tech start-ups. As well as happy hours and talks, there’s a monthly demo/pitch event for new businesses.
- Big Data Developers Detroit: Sponsored by IBM, this meetup gives developers, data scientists, and data enthusiasts a chance to get their hands on tools and technologies. It also hosts regular web conferences and community events.
- D-NewTech (DNT): Like Ann Arbor New Tech, this group provides resources and networking opportunities for the Detroit and Southeast Michigan start-up community. Demo/pitch events take place every month.
- Ann Arbor Machine Learning: Based in Ann Arbor, this meetup has ties to MIDAS and the local start-up community.
Data Science Conferences & Workshops in Michigan
Major data science conferences (e.g. Strata Data Conference, Predictive Analytics World, IEEE Conferences, SIGKDD, The Machine Learning Conference, etc.) tend to stick to bigger cities, but you may get lucky with Detroit. Alternatively, you can try some of the smaller events, which are often organized by URC universities or organizations like Grow Detroit. These include:
- Big Data & Business Analytics Summit: Organized by Wayne State University in Detroit, this event brings together professionals to discuss business case studies and explore next-generation tools, technologies, and processes.
- Detroit Startup Week: Like other start-up weeks around the country, Detroit’s event is a five-day mash of hackathons, networking hours, workshops, talks, and tours.
- Digital Summit Detroit: Presented by TechMedia, DSD looks at everything to do with digital and business (e.g. marketing, UX & design, search, content, mobile, etc.). You may find it a useful networking hub!
- Michigan Institute for Data Science (MIDAS) Annual Symposium: Since 2010, MIDAS has been running an annual symposium that features eminent data scientists and University of Michigan researchers. This also gives graduate students the chance to connect with potential employers.
Data Science Jobs in Michigan
You’ll find data science jobs swirling around Detroit/Ann Arbor in Michigan.
Along with the likes of Quicken Loans, Motor City has Detroit Labs, LevelEleven, start-ups like Locqus, and a lot of reasonably priced real estate. In 2015, Amazon also has a Detroit office, as well as Microsoft and Twitter.
Meanwhile, Ann Arbor has become a city of innovators like Llamasoft, Deepfield, Nutshell, FarmLogs, and Duo Security. It’s also home to the Google office that primarily handles sales for Google’s AdWords search ads.
Data Scientist Salaries in Michigan
According to data from the O*NET OnLine in 2019, data scientists made an average $81,730 per year in Michigan.
Last updated: February 2021
Interested in STEM Careers?
If you’re looking for information on career paths that involve STEM, see our guides below:
Data Science and Analytics Careers:
- Data Scientist
- Data Architect
- Data Engineer
- Data Analyst
- Business Analyst
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Financial Analyst
- Quantitative Analyst
Computer Science, Computer Engineering and Information Careers:
- Computer Engineer
- Computer Scientist
- Information Security Analyst
- Computer and Information Research Scientist
- Computer Systems Analyst
Marketing and User Research Careers:
Compare Careers and STEM Fields:
- Data Analyst vs Data Scientist
- Computer Science vs. Computer Engineering
- Cybersecurity vs. Computer Science
- Data Analytics vs. Business Analytics
- Data Science vs. Machine Learning
Related Graduate STEM Degrees
- Master’s in Business Analytics
- Master’s in Information Systems
- Master’s in Computer Engineering
- Master’s in Computer Science
- Master’s in Cybersecurity Programs
- Master’s in Accounting Analytics
- Master’s Applied Statistics
- Master’s in Business Intelligence
- Master’s in Data Analytics for Public Policy
- Data Science MBA Programs
- Master’s in Geospatial Science and
- Geographic Information Systems
- Master’s in Health Informatics
- Master of Library and Information Science
Related Undergraduate STEM Degrees
- Online Bachelor’s in Data Science
- Online Bachelor’s in Computer Science
- Sponsored: Computer Science at Simmons
Data Science Programs in Michigan
We found 11 universities in Michigan offering Masters of Data Science programs (and/or closely related programs, like MS in Analytics / Masters in Business Analytics). The university’s website will have the most up to date information on specific programs.
If you represent a university and would like to contact us about editing any of our listings, or adding new programs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This page includes information from O*NET OnLine by the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under the CC BY 4.0 license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.