Going to Big Sky Country to study big data? We’ve scoured the state’s graduate schools to deliver a list of all the data science programs in Montana. Read on to connect to data scholarships, events and employers.
* No GRE Scores RequiredLearn More
Southern Methodist University
* No GRE required.Learn More
University of Denver
* GRE waivers are available.Learn More
University of California, Berkeley
* No GRE Scores RequiredLearn More
University of Dayton
* GMAT waivers are available to professionals with at least three years of business experience.Learn More
* No GMAT/GRE required to apply.Learn More
* GMAT waivers are available for qualified applicants.Learn More
Studying Data Science in Montana
Groups like the Montana High Tech Business Alliance are helping to keep Montana a state for tech entrepreneurs. One challenge for most companies looking to break into data science is having a skill-ready workforce to tap into and getting graduates to stay in Montana.
Data Science Research & Initiatives at Montana Universities
- The University of Montana Data Science Initiative (DSI) draws a diverse set of researchers to find data-driven solutions in sectors as diverse as journalism and healthcare. Much of the DSI research emanates from the Statistics and Applied Math Core in the Department of Mathematical Sciences, but it’s all cross-disciplinary. Recent research involves analyzing Twitter data to understand African Americans’ opinions on higher education court cases, examining hospital bills to detect Medicare fraud, and visualizing seismic data.
Online Data Science Programs in Montana
The Academic Degree Program Inventory on the Montana University System website ensures you’ll be the first to know about new online options like the one below.
Online Graduate Certificates in Data Science
A Health Care Informatics graduate certificate is offered at Montana Tech. The program takes students with a bachelor’s degree in an IT discipline (or work experience with a baccalaureate in another discipline) and gives them healthcare administration skills. Or vice versa — healthcare staff get IT skills. Certificate holders work can contend for jobs in hospitals that don’t require patient care — for example, as systems analysts who streamline patient intake procedures or specialists who train healthcare workers on database use.
Data Science Bootcamps in Montana
If you’re in Montana and looking to pursue a career in data science or data analytics, a data science or data analytics bootcamp may help you. Bootcamps are short, intensive training programs meant to introduce students to the basics of the fields. Bootcamps in Montana may focus exclusively on data science, the study of how knowledge is generally derived from raw data; data analytics, the process by which specific conclusions can be drawn from data; or both data science and data analytics. See our guides to learn more about data science bootcamps or data analytics bootcamps in Montana.
Data Science Scholarships in Montana
Montana doesn’t have a lot of universities, but it has a decent amount of data science scholarships thanks to one of its flagship campuses:
University of Montana
- School of Business Administration Scholarships: Full-time grad students in the Business Analytics program are eligible alongside their MBA and MAcct counterparts for departmental awards. Each scholarship is worth a different amount and has its own eligibility criteria, but students can apply for all awards with a single scholarship application.
Data Science Events in Montana
Data Science Meetups & Communities in Montana
There are few communities of data science enthusiasts off of college campuses. The following is an exception:
- Bozeman Area R useR Group: Love R and live in Bozeman? This group of useRs meets once a month, typically in the Montana State University library, to learn from area academics and professionals how to better leverage the program to solve statistical problems.
Data Science Jobs in Montana
There’s been some talk about how Bozeman is the new tech boomtown. But there’s plenty to be found across the state. DataSmart Solutions, a small company in Helena, specializes in using predictive analytics to help healthcare providers and insurers lower costs while improving patient care. Diamond B Technology Solutions, headquartered in Billings, uses analytics software from another Billings company, salesfloorLIVE, to mine customers’ data and help them fine-tune their business operations. Agile Data Solutions in Missoula specializes in e-discovery, creating algorithms to help companies efficiently find internal documents they need and store data for simple analysis.
There are a couple of ways to go about a job search. One is to enter the University of Montana system and take advantage of internships with industry partners. The second is also simple. Find an analytics company through the Montana High Tech Business Alliance.
Data Scientist Salaries in Montana
Currently, the Bureau of Labor Statistics is not reporting on salaries for computer and information research scientists (including data scientists) in Montana. In 2018, the nationwide average salary for this career was $123,850.
Data Science Programs in Montana
We found 2 universities in Montana offering Masters of Data Science programs (and/or closely related programs, like MS in Analytics / Masters in Business Analytics).
If you represent a university and would like to contact us about editing any of our listings, or adding new programs, please send an email to email@example.com.