Dreaming of life in Silicon Bayou? Our quick guide to earning an Louisiana data science degree is here to help. It has details on everything from research & scholarships to jobs & salary numbers.
* No GRE Scores RequiredLearn More
Southern Methodist University
* No GRE required.Learn More
University of Denver
* No GRE required.Learn More
University of California, Berkeley
* No GRE Scores RequiredLearn More
University of Dayton
* GMAT waivers are available to professionals with at least three years of business experience.Learn More
* No GMAT/GRE required to apply.Learn More
* GMAT waivers are available for qualified applicants.Learn More
Already have a university in mind? Skip ahead to our list of all the data science programs in Louisiana.
Studying Data Science in Louisiana
Here are just a couple reasons to study data science in Louisiana:
- The state has a lot of generous tax credits & business incentives, including credits for technology commercialization, R&D, and digital interactive media & software development.
- The Silicon Bayou News will tell you that incubator & support groups like the New Orleans BioInnovation Center, Idea Village, Launch Pad, and Propeller abound. Startups can also seek early-stage funding from initiatives such as Voodoo Ventures and New Orleans Startup Fund and contests like PitchNOLA.
Data Science Research & Initiatives at Louisiana Universities
At the University of New Orleans (UNO), you’ll find:
- The UNO Research & Technology Park, with its Advanced Technology Center and Canizaro Livingston Gulf States Center for Environmental Informatics (GulfSCEI).
- A large number of faculty members in the Department of Computer Science who are working with data science & big data in the Narrative Intelligence Lab, the Bioinformatics and Machine Learning Lab, and GulfSCEI.
- Undergraduates participating in the GE Software Engineering Apprenticeship Program (SWEAP) and Eurofins Scientific and University of New Orleans Internship/Scholarship Program.
Plus, at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette (UL), there is:
- The Informatics Research Institute, with its Center for Business & Information Technologies (CBIT), National Incident Management Systems and Advanced Technologies (NIMSAT) Institute, and well-funded National Science Foundation Center for Visual and Decision Informatics (CVDI).
- Research labs in the Center for Advanced Computer Studies (CACS), with academic work on bioinformatics, AI, cloud computing, and the like.
- The University of Louisiana at Lafayette Research Park, which is full of labs and facilities, including a tech incubator and an immersive visualization complex.
That’s not to ignore the schools with specialist strengths. Often ranked in the top 15 of Public Health graduate programs by U.S. News & World Report, Tulane University is deeply involved in biodata. For instance, the Department of Global Biostatistics and Data Science hosts the Tulane Global Research Data Center (GRDC) and the Center for Bioinformatics and Genomics, with its Multiscale Bioimaging and Bioinformatics Laboratory (MBB).
Meanwhile, Louisiana State University (LSU) is busy building a reputation in business. The Stephenson Department of Entrepreneurship & Information Systems (SDEIS) is focused on producing entrepreneurs who are grounded in business analytics & info systems. These students can also find support from the Stephenson Entrepreneurship Institute and its innovative Entrepreneurship Fellows Program.
Online Data Science Programs in Louisiana
You’re probably going to have to look elsewhere to find an online program in data science – Louisiana universities are still developing their strengths and most of them haven’t branched out into distance learning.
Online Graduate Certificates in Data Science
Louisiana State University offers students an online certificate in analytics from their Department of Entrepreneurship and Information Systems
Fortunately, our directory has other listings of Online Graduate Certificates in Data Science has links to programs throughout the country.
Online Master’s Degrees in Data Science
Louisiana Tech’s online Master of Health Informatics – is tailored to working professionals. It’s open to students from a variety of backgrounds, though applicants who don’t hold a bachelor’s degree in health information management may be required to register for additional courses.
If this doesn’t suit your needs, check out our sections on Online Data Science Programs, Online Masters in Business Analytics Programs, and Online Masters in Information Systems Programs. They have both listings and advice.
Data Science Bootcamps in Louisiana
A bootcamp is another way to help jump-start your career in data science or data analytics. The intensive educational program may introduce you to the basics of data science, the study of how information is derived from raw data, or data analytics, the more practice-oriented process of how specific conclusions can be drawn from data. Bootcamps in Louisiana may exclusively focus on data science, data analytics or both. Check out our guide to learn more about data science bootcamps or data analytics bootcamps in Louisiana<.
Data Science Scholarships in Louisiana
For this section, we’ve only highlighted university scholarships that can be applied to the school’s data program. But the Graduate Studies Office will have more details on general scholarships and alternative financing options. For example, UNO provides a list of Graduate School Awards that are open to any student. Be sure to explore all your options!
Louisiana State University
- MS in Analytics Tuition Awards: The Graduate School awards up to 200 tuition exemptions to students from under-represented groups, with preference given to African-Americans and Latin Americans. Students must be admitted to a graduate program (i.e. the MS in Analytics) and nominated by the department (i.e. the Stephenson Department of Entrepreneurship & Information Systems).
- Tulane offers a variety of graduate, research, and teaching assistantships to graduate students in SPHTM programs. There are merit scholarships, service scholarships, need based scholarships, and more.
Data Science Events in Louisiana
Data Science Meetups & Communities in Louisiana
Louisiana has a lot of potential meetups in data science, but not many in reality. As you might expect, there’s a strong community of startup and tech groups in New Orleans.
- New Orleans Women in Tech (WIT): In addition to organizing hack nights and workshops, this group is striving to improve the local technology industry landscape for women.
- Net2NO: The is a New Orleans group of local entrepreneurs, innovators, and tech lovers. It hosts a variety of events, including hack nights and presentations.
- NOLA Meetup: This 1,600+ member group attracts New Orleans types who are interested in tech, startups, and entrepreneurship. Meetups are fairly regular and great for networking.
Data Science Conferences & Workshops in Louisiana
New Orleans is a fun place to visit, and major data conferences like to drop by. The Big Easy played host to ICDM: The 17th IEEE International Conference on Data Mining in 2017 and Insurance Analytics was were there in 2016. Remember, too, that you have the option to travel to places like Austin & Dallas, Miami, and Nashville.
- Collision Conference: Collision attracts 30,000+ attendees and lots of top companies to New Orleans.
- New Orleans Entrepreneurs Week (NOEW): The brainchild of Idea Village, NOEW is a week-long festival in March devoted to summits, pitch competitions, talks, networking, workshops, and fun.
Data Science Jobs in Louisiana
When it comes to data science jobs in Louisiana, it pays to think creatively. Conventional job sites and WorkNOLA will have openings, but you may also consider approaching a company directly.
- New Orleans Tech has links to some of the city’s hottest tech businesses.
- IBM has its own Baton Rouge Client Innovation Center with plenty of early-stage jobs.
- And we’ve already mentioned UNO Research & Technology Park, which has a list of park tenants.
We’re also talking about names like Quarrio (Business Intelligence for Salesforce), 365 Connect (tech platforms for the multifamily housing industry), Lucid (data-driven market research, ad tech, and business consulting), Susco (custom business software & mobile apps), and iSeatz (cloud-based digital travel services).
Another factor to consider is Louisiana’s close ties to Gulf industries. For example:
- GE Digital is a local employer of tech workers – it’s focused on software development for customers in the electric power, water, and oil & gas segments.
- Terracon has a team of consulting engineers and scientists who specialize in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials consulting and engineering services.
Data Scientist Salaries in Louisiana
According to data from the O*NET OnLine in 2019, data scientists made an average $64,980 per year in Louisiana.
Last updated: February 2021
Interested in STEM Careers?
If you’re looking for information on career paths that involve STEM, see our guides below:
Data Science and Analytics Careers:
- Data Scientist
- Data Architect
- Data Engineer
- Data Analyst
- Business Analyst
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Financial Analyst
- Quantitative Analyst
Computer Science, Computer Engineering and Information Careers:
- Computer Engineer
- Computer Scientist
- Information Security Analyst
- Computer & Information Research Scientist
- Computer Systems Analyst
Marketing and User Research Careers:
Compare Careers and STEM Fields:
- Data Analyst vs Data Scientist
- Computer Science vs. Computer Engineering
- Cyber Security vs Computer Science
- Data Analytics vs. Business Analytics
- Data Science vs. Machine Learning
Related STEM Degrees
- Master’s in Business Analytics
- Master’s in Information Systems
- Master’s in Computer Engineering
- Master’s in Computer Science
- Master’s in Cyber Security Programs
- Master’s in Accounting Analytics
- Master’s Applied Statistics
- Master’s in Business Intelligence
- Master’s in Data Analytics for Public Policy
- Data Science MBA Programs
- Master’s in Geospatial Science and
- Geographic Information Systems
- Master’s in Health Informatics
- Master of Library and Information Science
Data Science Programs in Louisiana
We found 5 universities in Louisiana offering Masters of Data Science programs (and/or closely related programs, like MS in Analytics / Masters in Business Analytics).
If you represent a university and would like to contact us about editing any of our listings, or adding new programs, please send an email to email@example.com.