If Carolina is calling, you’re in the right place. Our guide to earning an SC data science degree has information on research and scholarships to jobs, meetups, and salary numbers.
* No GRE Scores RequiredLearn More
Southern Methodist University
* No GRE required.Learn More
University of Denver
* No GRE required.Learn More
University of California, Berkeley
* No GRE Scores RequiredLearn More
University of Dayton
* GMAT waivers are available to professionals with at least three years of business experience.Learn More
* No GMAT/GRE required to apply.Learn More
* GMAT waivers are available for qualified applicants.Learn More
Already have a university in mind? Skip ahead to our list of all the data science programs in South Carolina.
Studying Data Science in South Carolina
Tech facilities like SC Innovation Hub and the South Carolina Research Authority (SCRA) are helping to fuel data science in the state. The Charleston Digital Corridor is becoming a worldwide phenomenon, biotech and life sciences sectors are humming, and the CharlestonWorks™ directory is packed with tech-related companies who are hiring. Google has a center in Berkeley County.
But we shouldn’t overlook the other ingenues. Greenville is home of the GSA Technology Council (GSATC); Columbia’s industries benefit from data work at the University of South Carolina (USC); Greenville is known for its advanced manufacturing; and Fort Mill is right next to the booming tech scene in Charlotte, NC. The state has a way to go before it’s famous, but it’s trying very hard.
Data Science Research & Initiatives at South Carolina Universities
When it comes to data science research, South Carolina universities often have initiatives:
- University of South Carolina (USC) & Business: For future data analysts, the Moore School of Business has a Center for Applied Business Analytics and a Risk and Uncertainty Management Center. Startup founders will also find support at the Faber Entrepreneurship Center and the hyper-active USC/Columbia Technology Incubator.
- Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) & Bioinformatics: MUSC’s Department of Public Health Sciences has an abiding commitment to biostatistics, bioinformatics, and epidemiology. You’ll see evidence of this in the Biomedical Informatics Center and the Bioinformatics Shared Resource
- Clemson University & Genomics: Using the powers of its Palmetto Cluster, Clemson is doing some fascinating stuff with big data at the Institute of Translational Genomics (ITG).
But Clemson goes above and beyond. Its Social Media Listening Center is all over social technologies; the School of Computing has a number of data science research labs; the Watt Family Innovation Center is partnered with the SAS® Institute; and Clemson’s C-Light website maintains a catalog of international big data science programs.
Online Data Science Programs in South Carolina
South Carolina’s online offerings are pretty slim, but a few of the major universities are represented. If you’re worried about committing to a distance learning degree, take a quick glance at our advice on what to look for in an online data science program.
Online Graduate Certificates in Data Science
When it comes to online data science graduate certificates, there’s not much in South Carolina. Fortunately, a number of well-respected schools in other states (e.g. Northwestern, Purdue, Stanford) have developed programs. You’ll find them all in our directory of Online Graduate Certificates in Data Science.
Online Master’s Degrees in Data Science
South Carolina has multiple choices for master’s students:
- If you love the theory and practice of analytics, USC’s online Master of Applied Statistics is a stats lover’s dream. The degree includes the option to take SAS® Certification electives.
- If you’re interested in business, Clemson has a blended MBA in Business Analytics (part online, part on-campus) that tackles topics such as business intelligence (BI), data management and warehousing, information systems, and the like.
- If you can’t get enough of healthcare data, MUSC’s online Master of Science in Health Informatics will make you an expert in electronic health records (EHRs), data management, and analytic systems.
Data Science Bootcamps in South Carolina
Data science and data analytics bootcamps are other options that may jump-start your career in the field. Bootcamps in South Carolina may focus exclusively on data science, the study of how information is drawn from data, or data analytics, the processes by which specific insights can be extracted—or both data science and data analytics. See our guides to learn more about data science bootcamps or data analytics bootcamps in South Carolina.
Data Science Scholarships in South Carolina
For this section, we focused on funding that specifically applied to the school’s data program. However, the university’s Graduate Studies Office will have more information on general aid (e.g. diversity scholarships) and alternative financing options. For example, in USC’s MAS program, students from Arkansas, Georgia, and Kentucky can apply for in-state tuition credits from the SREB’s Academic Common Market.
University of South Carolina-Columbia
- Department of Statistics Graduate Teaching Assistantships: Students in the MS in Statistics program may be eligible for an assistantship. The Department only offers 5-10 new teaching assistantships to MS and PhD students each year.
Data Science Events in South Carolina
Data Science Meetups & Communities in South Carolina
Carolina is still building its data science community, but there are some Meetup options available. If you’re in the Fort Mill area, you can also take advantage of the scores of groups in Charlotte, NC.
- Charleston Data Science: This meetup features lots of talks and tutorials on tools & technologies (e.g. neural networks, machine learning in R, etc.).
- Charleston Women in Tech: It may not be as focused as some of the other meetups, but women data scientists will find a lot of support here. There are regular seminars, networking events, mentor luncheons, and volunteer opportunities.
- Greenville Data Science & Analytics: This group is open to data scientists of every level and interest (e.g. business analysis, SQL, R, etc.).
Data Science Conferences & Workshops in South Carolina
Like other smaller tech states, South Carolina hasn’t reached the point where it’s a regular stop for Predictive Analytics World (PAW), Strata+Hadoop World, and MLconf. But it’s not far from the Southern Data Science (SDC) in Atlanta, big data events in North Carolina, and conferences in Florida. If you can drive or fly, you’ve got options! More general events include:
- Charleston Angel Conference: A boutique matchmaking event for accredited investors and emerging companies.
- Dig South: Dig South is Charleston’s flagship tech event (and usually a pretty good party)! There’s an Innovation Conference, an invitation-only C-Level Summit for execs, and a Wild Pitch for growth-stage startups & accelerator grads. Bring your networking game.
- Gilbarco Retail Technology Conference (RTC): Held at Myrtle Beach, RTC covers the tools & technologies that give retailers a competitive advantage in the marketplace.
Data Science Jobs in South Carolina
- Blackbaud, which develops software and services specifically designed for nonprofit organizations.
- Catalytic Data Science, which has created a life sciences digital research platform.
- Sales Analytics, Inc., which is a cloud-based business analytics platform for businesses with legacy computer equipment.
That’s not to mention all the startups. Or companies like KSH Solutions and CACI International that provide cyber security and engineering solutions to the federal government. Or the biotech firms. Or the aerospace sector. As we mentioned in the intro, the CharlestonWorks™ directory is a great place to start your job search.
Another center to keep an eye on is Fort Mill. There are a number of big banking and financial players in the area (e.g. Citigroup and LPL Financial Services) and the state has been active in luring tech businesses to the Lancaster County area.
If you’re in or around Columbia, the USC/Columbia Technology Incubator and BlueCross BlueShield are names you’ll probably be hearing a lot. The Greenville Area Development Corporation (GADC) also has a list of the city’s major employers.
Data Scientist Salaries in South Carolina
According to data from the O*NET OnLine in 2019, data scientists made an average $116,170 per year in South Carolina.
Last updated: February 2021
Interested in STEM Careers?
If you’re looking for information on career paths that involve STEM, see our guides below:
Data Science and Analytics Careers:
- Data Scientist
- Data Architect
- Data Engineer
- Data Analyst
- Business Analyst
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Financial Analyst
- Quantitative Analyst
Computer Science, Computer Engineering and Information Careers:
- Computer Engineer
- Computer Scientist
- Information Security Analyst
- Computer & Information Research Scientist
- Computer Systems Analyst
Marketing and User Research Careers:
Compare Careers and STEM Fields:
- Data Analyst vs Data Scientist
- Computer Science vs. Computer Engineering
- Cyber Security vs Computer Science
- Data Analytics vs. Business Analytics
- Data Science vs. Machine Learning
Related STEM Degrees
- Master’s in Business Analytics
- Master’s in Information Systems
- Master’s in Computer Engineering
- Master’s in Computer Science
- Master’s in Cyber Security Programs
- Master’s in Accounting Analytics
- Master’s Applied Statistics
- Master’s in Business Intelligence
- Master’s in Data Analytics for Public Policy
- Data Science MBA Programs
- Master’s in Geospatial Science and
- Geographic Information Systems
- Master’s in Health Informatics
- Master of Library and Information Science
Data Science Programs in South Carolina
We found 3 universities in South Carolina offering Masters of Data Science programs (and/or closely related programs, like MS in Analytics / Masters in Business Analytics).
If you represent a university and would like to contact us about editing any of our listings, or adding new programs, please send an email to email@example.com.