Wondering if tech is blooming under the magnolias? Welcome to our guide to earning a data science degree in Mississippi. Here you’ll find info on universities, online degrees, scholarships, conferences, meetups, and jobs.
* No GRE Scores RequiredLearn More
Southern Methodist University
* No GRE required.Learn More
University of Denver
* No GRE required.Learn More
University of California, Berkeley
* No GRE Scores Required
1Fortune Education, Best Online Masters In Data Science Programs 2022Learn More
University of Dayton
* No GRE/GMAT required to apply.Learn More
* No GMAT/GRE required to apply.Learn More
* GMAT score not required to applyLearn More
Ready to commit? Skip ahead to our list of all the data science programs in Mississippi.
Studying Data Science in Mississippi
Mississippi may not be the first state that springs to a data scientist’s mind. Tech companies are few. In 2022, the CompTIA’s Cyberstates noted that 2.3% of the state’s workforce was in the tech industry – #50 in the country.
Local organizations are trying to get some momentum going:
- Innovate Mississippi is devoted to supporting emerging tech companies with capital and mentorship. It’s located in the Mississippi Innovation Hub in downtown Jackson, along with co-working spaces like Coalesce and Mantle.
- Oxford benefits from the presence of the North Mississippi Enterprise Initiative (NMEI), University of Mississippi (Ole Miss) Insight Park, and The Edison.
- There is also Mississippi Enterprise Technology (MSET). The Gulf Coast is also home to the Innovation Center.
Data Science Research & Initiatives at Mississippi Universities
The public university system has developed pockets of data science expertise, with Mississippi State University (MSU)’s High Performance Computing Collaboratory (HPC²) as a major player.
- HPC² oversees multiple centers & institutes, including the Geosystems Research Institute (GRI), the Institute for Computational Research in Engineering and Science (ICRES), and the Institute for Genomics, Biocomputing & Biotechnology (IGBB).
Over at the University of Mississippi Medical Center (UMMC)’s School of Population Health, you’ll find the Department of Data Science. Founded in 2016, the department has been involved in projects like the Jackson Heart Study (JHS) and the NIH-sponsored Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study (ARIC).
Meanwhile, out in rural Cleveland, Delta State University (DSU)’s Geospatial Information Technologies Center has been developing projects for the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) and the U.S. Marine Corps. Like MSU, it’s an NGA Center of Academic Excellence in Geospatial Science.
Online Data Science Programs in Mississippi
Mississippi has few online data science degrees. If you’re trying to decide between a campus program and distance learning, check out our advice on what to look for in an online data science program.
Online Master’s Degrees in Data Science
If you’re open to a broad-based degree, MSU’s Master of Science in Information Systems (MSIS) is offered both online and on-campus. It’s not a data science program – it focuses on business and administration – but does include some exposure to subjects like data mining and analytics.
DSU offers an online Master of Applied Science in Geospatial Information Technologies. In addition to grounding you in geo-fundamentals (e.g. remote sensing, GIS, photogrammetry, etc.), this program includes coursework that draws on expertise from DSU’s Department of Biological Sciences.
Data Science Bootcamps in Mississippi
A bootcamp is another option for pursuing a career in data analytics of data science. A data science or data analytics bootcamp is a “crash course” that helps quickly introduce you to the fields. While some bootcamps in Mississippi focus solely on data science, how general knowledge is gleaned from raw data, or data analytics, how specific conclusions can be drawn from data, other bootcamps combine study of both data science and data analytics. Check out our guides to learn more about data science bootcamps or data analytics bootcamps in Mississippi.
Data Science Scholarships in Mississippi
For this section, we chose to focus on university aid that directly applies to the data programs in our directory. But there’s plenty more money out there!
Jackson State University (JSU) lists opportunities for assistantships, tuition waivers, and diversity scholarships. Talk to the Office of Graduate Studies (or its equivalent) about funding options.
University of Mississippi Medical Center
- PhD in Biostatistics and Data Science Dean’s Scholarship and Stipends: This full-tuition scholarship is awarded to potential PhD students for outstanding academic achievement. U.S. citizens and permanent residents are eligible. Stipends are distributed to students – on a competitive basis – when funds are available. As of 2020, the graduate student stipend was $24,150 per year for up to two years.
Data Science Events in Mississippi
Data Science Meetups & Communities in Mississippi
Mississippi has a numberer of tech meetups across the state, with hotspots in Jackson, the Gulf Coast area, and Oxford.
- Jackson Area Web and App Developers: This large tech meetup is for developers.
- JXNTech: JXNTech is aimed at Jackson area folks who want to start, work for, or invest in tech companies. You may also want to check out the weekly early-stage company presentations at 1 Million Cups Jackson.
- MS Gulf Coast Tech Meetup: Like JXNTech, this Ocean Springs group is a community of folks who are interested in all aspects of tech startups. Having said that, it includes a lot of technical talks and hands-on sessions.
Data Science Conferences & Workshops in Mississippi
Famous data science conferences (e.g. Strata Data Conference,Predictive Analytics World, IEEE Conferences, SIGKDD, The Machine Learning Conference) don’t stop in Mississippi, but they sometimes make a beeline for New Orleans. In addition, Jackson and Oxford sometimes host startup weekends if they’re feeling organized.
- Conference on Technology Innovation (COTI): Run by Innovative Mississippi, COTI attracts a lot of movers & shakers in the MS tech community. The one-day conference includes breakout sessions, a keynote presentation, and networking opportunities.
Data Science Jobs in Mississippi
Finding your dream data science job may take some creativity, but there are options. Try investigating:
- Jackson Area: On top of its startup communities, Jackson has Hudson’s Bay Company, FuseCloud, and UMMC. Ridgeland has Geocent and C Spire.
- Oxford Area: Although Ole Miss is the largest employer, FNC (real estate collateral IT) and Next Gear Solutions (restoration construction software) are also major job creators in North Mississippi.
- Gulf Coast Area: The Stennis Space Center employs data scientists and geospatial experts. What’s more, in the client list for MSET, you’ll find useful corporate residents and affiliates, including well-known tech employers.
Data Scientist Salaries in Mississippi
According to data from the O*NET OnLine in 2020, data scientists made an average $56,440 per year in Mississippi.
Last updated: April 2022
Interested in STEM Careers?
If you’re looking for information on career paths that involve STEM, see our guides below:
Data Science and Analytics Careers:
- Data Scientist
- Data Architect
- Data Engineer
- Data Analyst
- Business Analyst
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Financial Analyst
- Quantitative Analyst
Computer Science, Computer Engineering and Information Careers:
- Computer Engineer
- Computer Scientist
- Information Security Analyst
- Computer and Information Research Scientist
- Computer Systems Analyst
Marketing and User Research Careers:
Compare Careers and STEM Fields:
- Data Analyst vs Data Scientist
- Computer Science vs. Computer Engineering
- Cybersecurity vs. Computer Science
- Data Analytics vs. Business Analytics
- Data Science vs. Machine Learning
Related Graduate STEM Degrees
- Master’s in Business Analytics
- Master’s in Information Systems
- Master’s in Computer Engineering
- Master’s in Computer Science
- Master’s in Cybersecurity Programs
- Master’s in Accounting Analytics
- Master’s Applied Statistics
- Master’s in Business Intelligence
- Master’s in Data Analytics for Public Policy
- Data Science MBA Programs
- Master’s in Geospatial Science and
- Geographic Information Systems
- Master’s in Health Informatics
- Master of Library and Information Science
Related Undergraduate STEM Degrees
- Online Bachelor’s in Data Science
- Online Bachelor’s in Computer Science
- Sponsored: Computer Science at Simmons
Data Science Programs in Mississippi
We found 5 universities in Mississippi offering Masters of Data Science programs (and/or closely related programs, like MS in Analytics / Masters in Business Analytics). The university’s website will have the most up to date information on specific programs.
If you represent a university and would like to contact us about editing any of our listings, or adding new programs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This page includes information from O*NET OnLine by the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under the CC BY 4.0 license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.