New York has many data science options—if you look in the right place! To help you compare choices, we’ve put together a short guide on everything from online degrees and graduate scholarships to networking opportunities and job prospects.
* No GRE Scores RequiredLearn More
* GMAT waivers available.Learn More
* No GRE Scores RequiredLearn More
* GRE waivers available.Learn More
Already know what you want? Skip ahead to our list of all the data science programs in New York.
Studying Data Science in New York
All kinds of data science centers have sprung up since, including Columbia’s Data Science Institute (DSI), New York University’s (NYU) Center for Urban Science and Progress (CUSP), and the Rochester Center of Excellence (CoE) in Data Science. Cornell and Columbia often appear in the Top 20 of U.S. News & World Report rankings for Graduate Computer Science Programs.
Here are some other ways New York schools are promoting data science:
- Cornell’s Information Science Department is located in the futuristic Bill and Melinda Gates Hall. Research interests include NLP, computational sustainability, robotics, social media, and more. In addition, Cornell has a strong connection with the Cayuga Venture Fund, which often uses Cornell technology to fund start-ups.
- NYU’s Center for Data Science (CDS) was created with the goal of “creating a world-leading Data Science training and research facility, and arming researchers and professionals with the tools to harness the power of Big Data”.
- The University of Rochester has developed the Goergen Institute for Data Science. Current research spans several areas, including our understanding of the brain and breakthroughs in healthcare
Even small institutions are getting into big data. For example, the School of Computer Science and Mathematics at Marist College has a number of technology connections with IBM, Goldman Sachs, Cisco, and the NSF.
Online Data Science Programs in New York
When it comes to online data science programs in the Empire State, you’ve got choices. Columbia and NYU have an active investment in distance learning, and Syracuse and Pace have traditionally ranked in U.S. News & World Report rankings for Best Online Graduate Computer IT Programs.
We talk about general things to look for in an online data science program, so we decided to dig a little deeper into specific offerings.
Online Graduate Certificates in Data Science
Online graduate certificates are available from New York schools. Like any graduate certificate, they tend to have different prerequisites and foci.
- For instance, although course credits in Marist’s Advanced Certificate in Business Analytics can be applied to the Master of Science in Information Systems (MSIS), Marist doesn’t require applicants to have a computer science or technology background.
- On the other hand, the University of Rochester’s tech-heavy Advanced Certificate in Applied Statistics asks that applicants have a satisfactory background in mathematics and statistics and some basic familiarity with MINITAB, SAS, or R statistical software.
Online Master’s Degrees in Data Science
There are online master of science (MS) programs from major international players (e.g. Columbia’s Master of Science in Applied Analytics) and degrees deliberately focused on professional applications (e.g. Clarkson’s Master of Science in Healthcare Data Analytics).
Since distance learning can be challenging, we always recommend doing some background research on your school’s online track record before you commit. For example:
- The City University of New York: CUNY launched its online Master of Science in Data Analytics in 2012, after a number of years of distance learning development sponsored by the Sloan Foundation. It has also made a firm commitment to hybrid instruction.
- Rochester Institute of Technology: RIT’s online programs have had a high rate of faculty involvement and course completion in the past, and it’s built a virtual campus to promote collaboration. Students in degrees such as the Master of Science in Applied Statistics receive a reduced tuition rate when completing the program online.
Data Science Bootcamps in New York
Completing a data science or data analytics bootcamp is another option you may take to enter the field. Bootcamps are relatively short educational programs developed to quickly introduce students to new fields. Bootcamps in New York may be oriented toward data science, the study of how information is extracted from raw data; data analytics, how processes can draw specific conclusions from data; or both data science and data analytics. See our guides if you’re interested in learning more about data science bootcamps or data analytics bootcamps
Check out our guide to NYC data science and data analytics bootcamps.
Data Science Scholarships in New York
We’ve highlighted university scholarships & fellowships that might cover your data science degree, but there are plenty more out there! Check with the Graduate Studies Office to learn more about general aid and financial options.
- School of Business Scholarships: Clarkson’s School of Business administers both the MS in Data Analytics and the MS in Healthcare Data Analytics and it offers merit-based aid to certain graduate students.
CUNY Graduate School and University Center
- School of Professional Studies (SPS) Scholarships: The SPS offers a number of annual awards to students enrolled in SPS programs on a full- or part-time basis.
- Graduate School of Business Scholarships: The Graduate School of Business administers Fordham’s MS in Business Analytics and it has a limited number of scholarships available to graduate students.
- Graduate School of Arts & Science Stipends and Scholarships: Fordham’s MS in Data Analytics and Department of Computer Science are located in this graduate school. Along with tuition scholarships, there are a number of assistantships and teaching fellowships.
New York University
- Graduate School of Art and Science Financial Aid: The GSAS offers assistantships, awards, and scholarships to graduate students admitted to the Center for Data Science programs.
- Center for Urban Science and Progress (CUSP) Scholarships & Fellowships: The CUSP, which administers NYU’s Advanced Certificate and MS in Applied Urban Science and Informatics, offers both assistantships and merit-based scholarships to certain students.
- Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development Scholarships: Steinhardt offers the MS in Applied Statistics for Social Science Research. It has all kinds of full-time and part-time awards for graduate students, including merit- and need-based aid.
- Stern School of Business Full-Time MBA Scholarships: Stern administers the full-time MBA with a specialization in Business Analytics. MBA students are eligible for a long list of merit-based scholarships.
Pace University-New York
- Pace CyberCorps®: Scholarship for Service (SFS): Folks who are interested in studying information assurance and cybersecurity are eligible for this sponsored program. Students must be studying for cybersecurity.
- Lubin School of Business Scholarships: Lubin administers the MS in Customer Intelligence and Analytics. Graduate students at Lubin are eligible for certain scholarships.
- Seidenberg School of Computer Science and Information Systems (SCIS) Scholarships: Seidenberg, which offers Pace’s MSIS program, awards scholarships to both undergraduates and graduates. Students with demonstrated financial need take priority.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- Lally School of Business: Lally, which offers the MS in Business Analytics, awards scholarships to a number of graduate students. All applicants are automatically considered.
University of Rochester
- Department of Computer Science Tuition Support: The DCS may offer partial tuition discounts to qualified MS students. However, it does not offer full scholarships or teaching assistantships.
- MS in Data Science Scholarships: The Goergen Institute for Data Science offers a select number of scholarships to qualified candidates in the MS in Data Science program.
- Simon School of Business Scholarships: Simon, which offers the MS in Business Analytics, awards scholarships to more than 60% of incoming MS students. Awards range from $5,000 to full tuition.
Data Science Events in New York
Data Science Meetups & Communities in New York
New York is awash with meetups. There are groups for data professionals with specific NYC interests (e.g. financial trading, economics, and advertising & marketing) and backgrounds. Here are 5 more you may wish to consider:
- Columbia Data Science Institute (DSI): Columbia often makes its DSI events open to the general public (free or at low cost). Attendees get to hear about the school’s latest data-driven research and initiatives.
- New York Open Statistical Programming Meetup: Originally, this technical meetup focused on R, but now it explores all kinds of open-source data analysis tools (e.g. Python, Julia, C++, Stan, etc.). It’s been going since 2009.
- NYC Machine Learning: This is one of the largest data-related meetups in New York City. It serves as a forum for new research and hosts a speaker series focusing on topics such as machine learning, NLP, knowledge representation, and AI.
- NYC Women in Machine Learning & Data Science: Aimed at professionals of all skill levels, this meetup hosts bi-monthly events around the city. There are lectures by prominent data scientists, lightning talks, technical workshops, and lots of networking opportunities.
- UX+Data: Folks interested in data visualization may wish to check out this active meetup. Talks can range from visualizing climate data to designing virtual reality visualizations.
Data Science Conferences & Workshops in New York
Major data science conferences (e.g. Predictive Analytics World, IEEE Conferences, SIGKDD etc.) have a habit of wandering to and fro, but they make a point to visit NYC regularly. If you’re looking to build on your knowledge base and meet the right people, you might also be interested in:
- Data Summit: This 2-day event has a true industry focus. Plenty of corporations are involved and attendees include CIOs, CDOs, data scientists, data analysts, and software engineers.
- Machine Learning Conference – New York City: MLconf makes a regular stop in NYC each year. Along with machine learning, this one-day conference explores topics like AI, natural language processing, data mining, and advanced tools and techniques.
- New York Scientific Data Summit (NYSDS): Led by the NYSDS is a judicious mix of industry, government, and academia.
Data Science Jobs in New York
If you decide to stay in the Empire State after graduation, you’re likely to be in demand:
There were 56 Fortune 500 companies in New York in 2019. Telecommunications companies and Wall Street are going to be big sources of jobs in the state.
Data Scientist Salaries in New York
According to data from the O*NET OnLine in 2019, data scientists made an average $119,130 per year in New York.
Last updated: February 2021
Interested in STEM Careers?
If you’re looking for information on career paths that involve STEM, see our guides below:
Data Science and Analytics Careers:
- Data Scientist
- Data Architect
- Data Engineer
- Data Analyst
- Business Analyst
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Financial Analyst
- Quantitative Analyst
Computer Science, Computer Engineering and Information Careers:
- Computer Engineer
- Computer Scientist
- Information Security Analyst
- Computer & Information Research Scientist
- Computer Systems Analyst
Marketing and User Research Careers:
Compare Careers and STEM Fields:
- Data Analyst vs Data Scientist
- Computer Science vs. Computer Engineering
- Cyber Security vs Computer Science
- Data Analytics vs. Business Analytics
- Data Science vs. Machine Learning
Related STEM Degrees
- Master’s in Business Analytics
- Master’s in Information Systems
- Master’s in Computer Engineering
- Master’s in Computer Science
- Master’s in Cyber Security Programs
- Master’s in Accounting Analytics
- Master’s Applied Statistics
- Master’s in Business Intelligence
- Master’s in Data Analytics for Public Policy
- Data Science MBA Programs
- Master’s in Geospatial Science and
- Geographic Information Systems
- Master’s in Health Informatics
- Master of Library and Information Science
Data Science Programs in New York
We found 29 universities in New York offering Masters of Data Science programs (and/or closely related programs, like MS in Analytics / Masters in Business Analytics).
If you represent a university and would like to contact us about editing any of our listings, or adding new programs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.