The Hawkeye State has much to offer data geeks – if you know where to look. Our guide to earning a data science degree in Iowa can help! It has details on research and conferences to scholarships as well as potential salary numbers.
* No GRE Scores RequiredLearn More
Southern Methodist University
* No GRE required.Learn More
University of Denver
* No GRE required.Learn More
University of California, Berkeley
* No GRE Scores RequiredLearn More
University of Dayton
* No GRE/GMAT required to apply.Learn More
* No GMAT/GRE required to apply.Learn More
* GMAT score not required to applyLearn More
Already have a university in mind? Skip ahead to our list of all the data science programs in Iowa.
Studying Data Science in Iowa
There’s some talk about the tech sector’s role in the state’s economy, but if you look at the percentage of workforce in tech on the map of CompTIA’s Cyberstates, Iowa is way behind the big names. Even nearby states like Kansas, Missouri, and Illinois have stronger stats. There are a small number of data science meetups, conferences, and job postings in Iowa. Here are a few organizations and places Iowa has to offer:
- Iowa City and Cedar Rapids have proclaimed themselves to be in Iowa’s Creative Corridor and Des Moines is often mentioned as a burgeoning tech hub. Digital agriculture and advanced manufacturing are two areas of particular interest. Central Iowa even has its own Cultivation Corridor.
- The Technology Association of Iowa (TAI) has become the voice of the state’s tech community – advocating on public policy, promoting networking ties (e.g. TechBrews), and sponsoring awards for local achievers.
- Startups and entrepreneurs can find support from groups such as Plains Angels and DSM USA. The Iowa Economic Development Authority (IEDA) also runs its own Iowa Innovation Acceleration Fund for tech businesses.
Data Science Research & Initiatives at Iowa Universities
As a member of the Midwest Big Data Hub, Iowa State University (ISU) is being particularly aggressive in its quest to become a data science player:
- The university has an active Department of Computer Science (DCS), with an intriguing Laboratory for Software Design and a number of computational research labs.
- At the ISU Research Park, you’ll find startups, incubators, and widespread support for entrepreneurs.
But the University of Iowa (UI) isn’t sitting on its hands!
- Its multidisciplinary Iowa Informatics Initiative (UI3), which concluded at the end of 2019, was responsible for a large number of informatics programs and research centers.
- UI3 often partners with the university’s Iowa Social Science Research Center (ISRC) on projects. In addition to offering statistical and data consulting, ISRC provides grant support, runs workshops in big data tools, and hosts UI’s data science institute.
- To foster corporate growth, the Tippie School of Business has created a Tippie Analytics Cooperative, where data students provide consulting for real-world clients, and the John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center (Iowa JPEC), which offers free consulting help and seed money for startups.
Online Data Science Programs in Iowa
Iowa has limited distance learning options, so you may need to expand your degree search to other states. If you’re worried about quality control, have a look at our list of things to look for in an online data science program.
Online Graduate Certificates in Data Science
Iowa State University offers an online Certificate in Business Analytics. However, our directory of Online Graduate Certificates in Data Science has a long list of programs offered by schools around the country.
Online Master’s Degrees in Data Science
ISU’s online Master of Business Analyticsis not 100% online – there are required campus visits at the beginning, middle, and end of the program – but the vast majority of coursework can be done from home.
This is a blended program that pulls on expertise from ISU’s departments of Computer Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Statistics, and Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering. Students can choose from a number of advanced electives in areas like machine learning and applied stats (online); everyone is required to participate in a capstone team project (on-campus).
Data Science Bootcamps in Iowa
A data science or data analytics bootcamp is a short-term, intensive course of study meant to quickly introduce students to the field’s basics. Some bootcamps in Iowa are exclusively dedicated to data science, the study of how useful information can be derived from raw data; other bootcamps concentrate on data analytics, a more practice-minded approach to drawing specific conclusions from data; and yet other bootcamps combine the study of both data science and data analytics. Peruse our guides to learn more about data science bootcamps or data analytics bootcamps in Iowa.
Data Science Scholarships in Iowa
For this section, we chose to highlight university scholarships and assistantships that apply to the school’s data program. However, staff in the Graduate Studies Office will have more info on general scholarships and alternative financing options . Talk to them about your options!
Iowa State University
- Bioinformatics & Computational Biology (BCB) Assistantships: BCB students are supported by graduate assistantships or fellowships. Students receive an annual stipend ranging from $24,000 to $36,000. Tuition costs and healthcare coverage are included.
- College of Business Scholarships: Graduate students in business programs are automatically considered for scholarships. There is no separate application process.
- MSIS Heartland Scholarships: Iowa residents who are admitted to ISU’s MSIS program may be eligible to receive $5,000. This amount covers approximately one semester of tuition.
University of Iowa
- Full-time MBA Scholarships: The Tippie College of Business administers the MBA in Business Analytics and it has a healthy list of scholarships open to full-time students. This list includes funds for women, scholars, and Iowans.
- Informatics Graduate Research & Teaching Assistantships: Research assistantships typically demand 25% (or more) of a student’s time in return for Iowa resident tuition, a stipend, a partial tuition scholarship, and health insurance benefits. Teaching assistantships are more common & similar benefits are given.
Data Science Events in Iowa
Data Science Meetups & Communities in Iowa
They may be small, but they do exist! In addition to these suggestions, have a look at techcorridor.io. It aggregates tech meetups from a number of different groups (e.g. R Users Group at UI’s College of Public Health).
- Central Iowa R User Group: This meetup has weekly study groups, talks on Python, online stats workshops – everything you might expect from folks devoted to R.
- Des Moines SQL Users Group and I-380 PASS SQL Server User Group: Both of these groups represent local chapters of the Professional Association for SQL Server (PASS).
- Ignite Quad Cities – Entrepreneurs Meetup: It’s not devoted to tech, but IQC’s meetup in Moline is one to know about if you’re trying to start your own business or make connections.
- Startup Ames: ISU students and folks in the Des Moines/Ames area can mix & mingle with other entrepreneurs at these monthly meetups.
Data Science Conferences & Workshops in Iowa
Though it’s not a stop on the circuit for big events like Predictive Analytics World (PAW) and SIGKDD, Iowa has university-based conferences that are worth knowing about. You might also want to consider tech conferences in nearby cities such as Chicago, Kansas City, Minneapolis, and Omaha.
- Iowa MBA Business Analytics Case Competition: In UI’s competition, teams of MBA & analytics students from around the U.S. compete to solve a real-world business problem.
- ISU Spring Analytics Symposium: ISU’s College of Business symposium is a well-attended (~500 people), one-day event in Des Moines. There are speakers from big corporations, analytics powerhouses, and universities around the country.
- UI Computing Conference: Hosted by the UI ACM student chapter and the Department of Computer Science, this conference covers a huge range of computing topics (e.g. AI, robotics, coding, new technologies, etc.). UI’s Iowa Social Science Research Center also hosts a summer data science institute and runs skills-based workshops (e.g. Introduction to R, Introduction to Python, Stata, etc.) throughout the year.
Data Science Jobs in Iowa
Agriculture and food production, advanced manufacturing, chemical production, renewable energy, & fuels – these are some of the sectors in the state’s economy to consider. Think names like DuPont, John Deere, Helena Industries, Kemin Industries, and the like.
Dupon is doing a lot of advanced research at its DuPont Johnston Innovation Center, and they may need data professionals with an interest in food, agriculture, and biotechnology to help.
Outside of these sectors, you could try financial firms (e.g. Wells Fargo, EMC Insurance, Principal Financial Group, etc.) or established tech companies. Three data science names in Hawkeye territory are:
- Kingland Systems, which provides technology and outsourcing services for the financial sector.
- Workiva, which develops cloud-based software.
- CDS Global, which offers business process outsourcing and customer data management to various industries.
Data Scientist Salaries in Iowa
According to data from the O*NET OnLine in 2019, data scientists made an average $94,280 per year in Iowa.
Last updated: February 2021
Interested in STEM Careers?
If you’re looking for information on career paths that involve STEM, see our guides below:
Data Science and Analytics Careers:
- Data Scientist
- Data Architect
- Data Engineer
- Data Analyst
- Business Analyst
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Financial Analyst
- Quantitative Analyst
Computer Science, Computer Engineering and Information Careers:
- Computer Engineer
- Computer Scientist
- Information Security Analyst
- Computer & Information Research Scientist
- Computer Systems Analyst
Marketing and User Research Careers:
Compare Careers and STEM Fields:
- Data Analyst vs Data Scientist
- Computer Science vs. Computer Engineering
- Cyber Security vs Computer Science
- Data Analytics vs. Business Analytics
- Data Science vs. Machine Learning
Related STEM Degrees
- Master’s in Business Analytics
- Master’s in Information Systems
- Master’s in Computer Engineering
- Master’s in Computer Science
- Master’s in Cyber Security Programs
- Master’s in Accounting Analytics
- Master’s Applied Statistics
- Master’s in Business Intelligence
- Master’s in Data Analytics for Public Policy
- Data Science MBA Programs
- Master’s in Geospatial Science and
- Geographic Information Systems
- Master’s in Health Informatics
- Master of Library and Information Science
Data Science Programs in Iowa
We found 5 universities in Iowa offering Masters of Data Science programs (and/or closely related programs, like MS in Analytics / Masters in Business Analytics).
If you represent a university and would like to contact us about editing any of our listings, or adding new programs, please send an email to email@example.com.