Curious what Sioux Falls or Madison might hold for your future? Check out this quick guide to earning a data science degree in South Dakota. It has details on research & online degrees to jobs & salary numbers.
* No GRE Scores RequiredLearn More
Southern Methodist University
* No GRE required.Learn More
University of Denver
* No GRE required.Learn More
University of California, Berkeley
* No GRE Scores RequiredLearn More
University of Dayton
* GMAT waivers are available to professionals with at least three years of business experience.Learn More
* No GMAT/GRE required to apply.Learn More
* GMAT waivers are available for qualified applicants.Learn More
Already settled on a university? Skip ahead to our list of all the data science programs in South Dakota.
Studying Data Science in South Dakota
The map of CompTIA’s Cyberstates ranks South Dakota as 44th in the country for percentage of the workforce in tech in 2019 (just 4.6%). It is not the biggest hotspot for data science meetups and conferences. And the entire state has fewer than 1 million people.
Sioux Falls is a boom town, with a business-friendly tax environment. The tech sector utilizes the city’s traditional strengths in agriculture, health, and finance, and new analytics companies are gradually taking root.
Data Science Research & Initiatives at South Dakota Universities
In the realm of technology, South Dakota State University (SDSU) is exploring ways to transform data into growth:
- The SDSU Research Park plays host to a Seed Tech Lab and a custom-built Innovation Center – a startup business incubator for early-stage tech and science research firms. Budding entrepreneurs can also seek assistance from theOffice of Technology Transfer & Commercialization.
- Meanwhile, the researchers in the SDSU’s Centers of Excellence are deeply involved in geographic science, water, biotech, and transportation (think tech applications). The Geospatial Sciences Center of Excellence, for example, is a joint collaboration between SDSU and the U.S. Geological Survey’s Center for Earth Resources Observation and Sciences.
Over at the University of South Dakota (USD), excitement is building around the USD Discovery District, a large corporate and academic research park in Sioux Falls. Designed to serve as a catalyst for high-tech industry growth, the district has the support of the city government and local businesses. Qualified tenants have full access to the incubator services provided by Zeal.
Online Data Science Programs in South Dakota
Dakota State University (DSU) is one distance learning option, but University of South Dakota (USD) and South Dakota State University (SDSU) also have skin in the game. If you’re concerned about the quality of a degree, have a gander at our bullet point list of what to look for in an online data science program.
Online Graduate Certificates in Data Science
Trying to get the fundamentals down? SDSU’s online Graduate Certificate in Data Science is a program with courses in statistics and statistical methods & programming. These are the core courses for SDSU’s campus-based MS in Data Science, so it’s very easy to transfer them.
Interested in acquiring business-ready skills? You have some options, including:
- DSU’s online Graduate Certificate in Business Analytics is a program with courses in data mining, databases, business decision-making, and predictive analytics. It’s aimed at IT professionals and analysts who want to hone their technical and programming skills.
- USD’s online Graduate Certificate in Business Analytics is a program with a similar curriculum. Coursework covers areas like quantitative analysis, data mining, data management, and operational analytics. Better yet, credits can be applied toward USD’s MBA with Business Analytics specialization.
Online Master’s Degrees in Data Science
DSU has an online degree to suit almost every goal. Depending on your career path, you could look at the:
- Online Master of Science in Analytics (MSA): This degree is custom-built for aspiring data scientists & analysts. Core courses include data mining, predictive analytics, programming, and applied statistics.
- Online Master of Science in Health Informatics (MSHI): This program includes a strong roster of classes, including training in analytics, network technology, data privacy, security, and data management. DSU’s Center of Advancement for Healthcare IT (CAHIT) can also help with internships and project possibilities.
- Online Master of Science in Information Systems (MSIS): The MSIS is geared toward wannabe IT managers and systems analysts. Though it’s not a true data science degree, you have the option to choose a career track specialization in your field (e.g. data management or healthcare information systems).
Business folks may also take a close look at USD’s online MBA with a specialization in Business Analytics and its program is AACSB-accredited.
The degree is founded on core business concepts (e.g. accounting, information systems, marketing, finance, etc.), but the business analytics specialization will allow you to get stuck into data analysis, data management, and operational analysis.
Data Science Bootcamps in South Dakota
Completing a data science or data analytics bootcamp is another option to consider if you’re interested in these fields. Bootcamps are relatively short-term, intensive educational programs meant to jump-start your career, often through hands-on experience. Data science and data analytics bootcamps in South Dakota may be exclusively dedicated to the former or latter, or combine study of both data science and data analytics. See our guides to learn more about data science bootcamps or data analytics bootcamps in South Dakota.
Data Science Scholarships in South Dakota
For this section, we chose to focus on university aid that could apply to your data science degree. But this is just the beginning! The university’s Office of Graduate Studies should be able to assist you with general scholarships and alternative financing options (e.g. low-interest loans). Don’t be afraid to reach out for advice.
Dakota State University
- Graduate Assistantships: DSU assistantships are available for the MSIS (Information Systems), MSA (Analytics), and DScIS (Information Systems). In return for reduced tuition rates and a stipend, students must work for up to 19.5 hours per week and maintain a 3.25 GPA.
South Dakota State University
- Department of Mathematics and Statistics Assistantships:
- MSDS Assistantships: Because the MS in Data Science is a professional master’s degree program, designed to be completed in a year, graduate teaching assistantship (GTAs) and graduate research assistantships (GRAs) are only available in exceptional circumstances.
- PhD in CSS Assistantships: Assistantships are available for the PhD in Computational Science and Statistics. Students receive a near-total waiver of tuition and fees. In return, they’re expected to complete 20 hours per week of either teaching or research duties.
Data Science Events in South Dakota
Data Science Meetups & Communities in South Dakota
Unfortunately, South Dakota doesn’t have a lot of data science meetups. There are some groups out there for those who are interested:
- Sioux Falls CIO Exchange: Created with the help of Sioux Fall leaders in finance & banking, this group provides local CIOs with opportunities for education and collaboration. All meetings are for accepted members only.
Data Science Conferences & Workshops in South Dakota
- Siouxland IT Symposium: This invitation-only event is open to IT executives, their respective management teams, and a few select vendors. Sessions focus on the latest industry advances & challenges.
- South Dakota Biotech Summit: Run by South Dakota BioTech, this one-day summit features South Dakota companies discussing their latest breakthroughs in biotech applications (e.g. human health, animal health, agriculture, etc.).
- Trendigital: Sponsored by Zeal Center for Entrepreneurship, Trendigital is a one-day marketing technology summit aimed at business owners and marketing professionals. It’s held in Sioux Falls every winter.
Data Science Jobs in South Dakota
Wondering where to find local companies with a significant stake in data science? Check out the membership list for Sioux Falls CIO Exchange. Here you’ll discover representatives from some of South Dakota’s key industry sectors. These sectors include:
- Agriculture & Biofuels: Farmers Business Network (FBN), Raven Industries, John Deere, POET – South Dakota is the land of corn & soy and everything that comes with it. Many ag-related companies now have a massive stake in technology and geospatial science. The FBN for instance, is built on analytics.
- Banks: Banks and financial service institutions adore South Dakota’s business-friendly tax structure and low operating costs. Major tech employers in the area include names like Great Western Bank, Wells Fargo, and Citibank.
- Health: Healthcare accounts for a significant portion of the state’s economy. One of the largest healthcare systems in the Upper Midwest, Sanford Health, is headquartered in Sioux Falls, and Avera Health is not far behind. Both hire analysts & data experts, and you may find positions being advertised in Sioux Falls.
- Biotech: Buoyed by partnerships with healthcare providers (e.g. SAB Biotherapeutics is a Sanford Research collaborator), bio is becoming big. Check themembership list of South Dakota BioTech if you’re looking for potential employers.
- Tech: South Dakota’s diverse spread of industries also helps support all kinds of tech companies. For example, in Sioux Falls, you’ll find Fiserv (financial transaction services), Experity Health (urgent care analytics), and CentralSquare (public safety & law enforcement software) – just to name a few.
Data Scientist Salaries in South Dakota
According to data from the O*NET OnLine in 2019, data scientists made an average $94,280 per year in South Dakota.
Last updated: February 2021
Interested in STEM Careers?
If you’re looking for information on career paths that involve STEM, see our guides below:
Data Science and Analytics Careers:
- Data Scientist
- Data Architect
- Data Engineer
- Data Analyst
- Business Analyst
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Financial Analyst
- Quantitative Analyst
Computer Science, Computer Engineering and Information Careers:
- Computer Engineer
- Computer Scientist
- Information Security Analyst
- Computer & Information Research Scientist
- Computer Systems Analyst
Marketing and User Research Careers:
Compare Careers and STEM Fields:
- Data Analyst vs Data Scientist
- Computer Science vs. Computer Engineering
- Cyber Security vs Computer Science
- Data Analytics vs. Business Analytics
- Data Science vs. Machine Learning
Related STEM Degrees
- Master’s in Business Analytics
- Master’s in Information Systems
- Master’s in Computer Engineering
- Master’s in Computer Science
- Master’s in Cyber Security Programs
- Master’s in Accounting Analytics
- Master’s Applied Statistics
- Master’s in Business Intelligence
- Master’s in Data Analytics for Public Policy
- Data Science MBA Programs
- Master’s in Geospatial Science and
- Geographic Information Systems
- Master’s in Health Informatics
- Master of Library and Information Science
Data Science Programs in South Dakota
We found 3 universities in South Dakota offering Masters of Data Science programs (and/or closely related programs, like MS in Analytics / Masters in Business Analytics).
If you represent a university and would like to contact us about editing any of our listings, or adding new programs, please send an email to email@example.com.