New Jersey’s universities are packed with data science certificates and degrees. Our guide explores professional communities and salary ranges as well as online degrees and academic scholarships.
* No GRE Scores RequiredLearn More
Southern Methodist University
* No GRE required.Learn More
University of Denver
* No GRE required.Learn More
University of California, Berkeley
* No GRE Scores RequiredLearn More
University of Dayton
* No GRE/GMAT required to apply.Learn More
* No GMAT/GRE required to apply.Learn More
* GMAT score not required to applyLearn More
If you already know you’re headed there, jump to our list of all the data science programs in New Jersey.
Studying Data Science in New Jersey
In 2013 Rutgers University got together with other universities in the state to form the New Jersey Big Data Alliance. The members work together on research initiatives, and the organization is developing a repository of publicly accessible data sets. The alliance includes the New Jersey Office of Information Technology and NJEDge.Net, which link the schools with government and private sector partners.
In addition to Rutgers, alliance members include The College of New Jersey, Kean University, Montclair State University, New Jersey Institute of Technology, Rowan University, Saint Peter’s University, Stevens Institute of Technology, Stockton University, and more. Keep your eye on these schools for new data science programs.
Data Science Research & Initiatives at New Jersey Universities
What are New Jersey colleges within and outside of the Big Data Alliance up to in the field?
- Big Data Alliance member New Jersey City University offers a Master of Science in Business Analytics and Data Science.
- The Ivy Leaguers at Princeton don’t just want to analyze big data — they want to make it look cool. The university’s Visualization Consortium and Visualization Laboratory allows graduate researchers to do just that. Those who don’t care about making big data pretty may prefer to conduct research at the school’s Center for Statistics and Machine Learning.
- Stevens Institute of Technology is one of the country’s preeminent research institutions for financial analytics. Its startup incubator, the Stevens Venture Center, has spawned the financial analytics platform AdvantageInvestor, database storage engine DexterityDB, and finance integration app Knotter, just to name a few startups.
- Saint Peter’s University houses its own Data Science Institute, where students can collaborate on research — or just network — with industry partners such as IBM, Red Hat and Verisk Analytics.
- The Rutgers Discovery Informatics Institute’s main research efforts involve applying analytics to hard sciences. Two key projects include DataSpaces, a framework for managing scientific workflows and GreenHPC, an initiative leveraging analytics to maximize energy efficiency.
Online Data Science Programs in New Jersey
A few New Jersey public universities including the New Jersey Institute of Technology, Rutgers University, and Thomas Edison State University offer online data science programs at the certificate or master’s level. A private university, Stevens Institute of Technology, designs programs that prepare graduates for Wall Street jobs. While more colleges are adding degrees all the time, these four institutions offer programs that may be worth considering.
Online Graduate Certificates in Data Science
A couple of New Jersey institutions are in the data science game at the online certificate level, they’ve managed to give students multiple options. Perhaps you’ll find your niche in:
- New Jersey Institute of Technology’s Graduate Certificate in Data Mining, which is aimed at computer science, mathematicians and/or stat heads;
- Stevens Institute of Technology’s Graduate Certificate in Business Intelligence and Analytics, geared toward managers in the IT realm; or
- Stevens’ Data Exploration and Visualization for Risk and Decision-Making Graduate Certificate.
If you’re interested in finance, consider either:
- Stevens’ Financial Services Analytics Graduate Certificate for advisors with fiduciary responsibilities; or
- Stevens’ Algorithmic Trading Strategies Graduate Certificate for financial engineers.
Online Master’s Degrees in Data Science
If you want the whole degree, New Jersey universities offer diverse options, including:
- The Master of Information at Rutgers comes with a Data Science concentration for aspiring analysts.
- Rutgers’ hybrid Master of Business & Science with a concentration in Analytics approaches the topic from a different angle, combining computer science, management and statistics.
- The Master’s in Information and Data Engineering from Stevens Institute of Technology focuses on building the networks capable of storing and parsing data.
- Thomas Edison State University’s MBA in Data Analytics is an accelerated degree for students with undergraduate experience in accounting, statistics and economics.
- Rowan University’s accelerated MS in Data Analytics is designed for students with a baccalaureate degree in the field who are planning careers in healthcare or clinical research.
Data Science Bootcamps in New Jersey
Interested in pursuing a career in data science or data analytics but unable to earn your master’s in data science? You may want to consider completing a bootcamp! Bootcamps are relatively short educational programs meant to get students into the field compared to a master’s degree. Bootcamps in New Jersey may focus on data science, the study of how knowledge is generally derived from raw data; data analytics, the processes by which specific insights can be drawn from data; or both data science and data analytics. Check out our guides to learn more about data science bootcamps or data analytics bootcamps in New Jersey.
Data Science Scholarships in New Jersey
Financial aid options for New Jersey data science programs include but are not limited to:
- Rutgers Business School Graduate Scholarships (various): MBAers are eligible to win funds from a variety of scholarships with various criteria.
- School of Communication and Information Scholarships: These awards, which vary in value, are available to Master of Information students, who can apply simply by completing the Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA).
Data Science Events in New Jersey
Data Science Meetups & Communities in New Jersey
New Jersey’s universities pump out plenty of data science grads and not all of them move to NYC. Instead, graduates have formed pockets of analytical activity across the Garden State. Here are a few communities you can join:
- Central NJ Data Science Meetup: Data science lovers of all skill levels meet once a month at the South Brunswick Public Library to hear presentations on business analytics and machine learning from fellow members.
- Data Science + FinTech JC-NY: Folks in the financial sector explore ways to use machine learning to predict future performance. The group meets once or twice a month at host qplum in Jersey City to listen to outside speakers.
- New Jersey Data Science Meetup: Data science wizards meet one Saturday per month at the Parsippany-Troy Library to listen to outside speakers and enjoy member presentations.
- NJ Data Science – Apache Spark: This Princeton group for advanced practitioners is concerned with using Apache Spark and other applications to maximize business profits. Expect to go in depth on what each application can do.
- NJ Big Data & Blockchain: By offering a mix of hands-on workshops and online and live classes, this Flemington-based group can help you earn various certifications, whether you’re new to data science or an old hand.
Data Science Conferences & Workshops in New Jersey
New Jersey periodically welcomes large big data conferences to the state. We’ve assembled a small list of big data conferences that meet more regularly along this stretch of the Atlantic Seaboard.
- Annual Stevens Conference on High Frequency Finance and Analytics: Stevens Institute of Technology takes its emphasis on financial data to the conference circuit with this three-day conference. Open to students, academics and practitioners, the forum is packed with research papers and student presentations.
- Columbia-Princeton Probability Day: Hardcore stat heads will appreciate this free daylong event that pulls speakers from Ivy League mathematics departments. Probability Day comes to Princeton every odd-numbered year.
- New Jersey Big Data Alliance (NJBDA) Annual Symposium: NJBDA is a consortium of academic institutions, government agencies, industry leaders, and nonprofits. Its annual symposium brings them all together for a day of networking, panel discussions and expositions.
Data Science Jobs in New Jersey
Because much of northern New Jersey is part of the Greater New York City metropolitan area, it’s hard to nail down the true number of data science career opportunities for New Jersey residents in particular. However, given that it is within the greater New York area, New Jersey folks may find work in either state.
Data Scientist Salaries in New Jersey
According to data from the O*NET OnLine in 2019, data scientists made an average $111,360 per year in New Jersey.
Last updated: February 2021
Interested in STEM Careers?
If you’re looking for information on career paths that involve STEM, see our guides below:
Data Science and Analytics Careers:
- Data Scientist
- Data Architect
- Data Engineer
- Data Analyst
- Business Analyst
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Financial Analyst
- Quantitative Analyst
Computer Science, Computer Engineering and Information Careers:
- Computer Engineer
- Computer Scientist
- Information Security Analyst
- Computer & Information Research Scientist
- Computer Systems Analyst
Marketing and User Research Careers:
Compare Careers and STEM Fields:
- Data Analyst vs Data Scientist
- Computer Science vs. Computer Engineering
- Cyber Security vs Computer Science
- Data Analytics vs. Business Analytics
- Data Science vs. Machine Learning
Related STEM Degrees
- Master’s in Business Analytics
- Master’s in Information Systems
- Master’s in Computer Engineering
- Master’s in Computer Science
- Master’s in Cyber Security Programs
- Master’s in Accounting Analytics
- Master’s Applied Statistics
- Master’s in Business Intelligence
- Master’s in Data Analytics for Public Policy
- Data Science MBA Programs
- Master’s in Geospatial Science and
- Geographic Information Systems
- Master’s in Health Informatics
- Master of Library and Information Science
Data Science Programs in New Jersey
We found 6 universities in New Jersey offering Masters of Data Science programs (and/or closely related programs, like MS in Analytics / Masters in Business Analytics).
If you represent a university and would like to contact us about editing any of our listings, or adding new programs, please send an email to email@example.com.