Wondering if the First State should come first in your education? Check out this guide to earning a Delaware data science degree. Here you’ll find information on research groups, online degrees, scholarships, events, meetups, and jobs.
* No GRE Scores RequiredLearn More
Southern Methodist University
* No GRE required.Learn More
University of Denver
* GRE waivers are available.Learn More
University of California, Berkeley
* No GRE Scores RequiredLearn More
University of Dayton
* GMAT waivers are available to professionals with at least three years of business experience.Learn More
* No GMAT/GRE required to apply.Learn More
* GMAT waivers are available for qualified applicants.Learn More
Already loyal to the Blue Hens? Skip ahead to our list of all the data science programs in Delaware.
Studying Data Science in Delaware
Demand certainly exists – in 2020, the map of CompTIA’s Cyberstates noted that 7.2% of the workforce was employed in tech industries.
Data science related activity is ramping up in the state, though. The Delaware Technology Park houses promising companies, financial tech continues to be a huge economic driver, and First State Innovation (FSI) is eager to help new businesses find angel and seed capital.
Data Science Research & Initiatives at Delaware Universities
Depending on your degree, you might work with academics in:
- The Center for Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (CBCB) and the Delaware Biotechnology Institute (DBI). UD is well-known for its strength in bioscience and the CBCB is collaborating with regional biotech companies on some heady research. Meanwhile, DBI is working on tech solutions in agriculture, energy & environment, and human health.
- The Lerner College of Business and Economics. Lerner has the Center for Economic Education and Entrepreneurship, the Institute for Financial Services Analytics, and all kinds of graduate programs with a data-focused agenda. It also runs the Geltzeiler Trading Center and the JPMorgan Chase Innovation Center – experiential programs that give students hands-on experiences in financial tech projects.
- The College of Engineering – Computer and Information Sciences and its many core research areas. In the AI labs, for example, you’ll find projects in human language, vision, text mining, and statistical information retrieval.
- The Department of Applied Economics and Statistics has several research centers of its own as well.
Online Data Science Programs in Delaware
The University of Delaware has a couple of distance learning options, which you can assess by glancing at our tips on what to look for in an online data science program.
Online Graduate Certificates in Data Science
Offered by the Center for Bioinformatics & Computational Biology (CBCB), UD’s online Graduate Certificate in Applied Bioinformatics is designed for working professionals.
In addition to core competencies, you’ll gain exposure to real-world applications in fields such as genomic medicine, pharmaceuticals, healthcare, and agriculture. And you can earn graduate-level college credits for an MS or PhD.
Online Master’s Degrees in Data Science
UD’s online Master of Science in Applied Statistics is run by the data science & stats experts in the Department of Applied Economics and Statistics. It’s a little heavy on statistical theory, but it still includes exposure to key software tools such as SAS, JMP, and R.
Data Science Bootcamps
Live in Delaware and hoping to enter the field of data science or data analytics? Consider attending a bootcamp! Bootcamps are intensive educational programs focused on introducing participants to new subjects. Bootcamps in Delaware may be dedicated to data science, which is the study of developing knowledge from information; data analytics, the more practice-minded approach of drawing conclusions from information; or a combination of data science and data analytics. Visit our guides if you’re interested in learning more about data science bootcamps or data analytics bootcamps in Delaware.
Data Science Scholarships in Delaware
For this section, we chose to focus on UD aid that could be applied to the data programs in our directory. But the bucks don’t stop here! The Office of Graduate and Professional Education has an entire section on funding opportunities, including info on general UD assistantships & scholarships.
University of Delaware
- MBA Graduate Assistantships and Scholarships: Assistantships are offered to exceptionally qualified full-time applicants. Most assistantships are partial – in return for 10 hours of work per week, students receive a $4,500 stipend per term and 50% tuition scholarship in the fall & spring semesters. No separate application form is required. Exceptional full-time MBA students (e.g. MBA in Business Analytics) are automatically eligible for two-year graduate scholarships that cover up to 50% of tuition. No separate application form is required.
- PSM in Bioinformatics Industry Internships: Professional master’s students are eligible for paid internships. These tend to be available from industry partners (e.g. DuPont), government agencies, and other participating institutions.
Data Science Events in Delaware
Data Science Meetups & Communities in Delaware
We’ll tell you true – Philadelphia may have data science meetups. If you can’t bear the thought of crossing the state line, many tech aficionados in the Newark & Wilmington area belong to the following groups:
- Delaware Tech Meetup: Though it’s not devoted to data science per se, this Wilmington group is a place to talk about local tech initiatives, network with startup founders, and share ideas. It meets on the 3rd Thursday of each month.
- Technical.ly Delaware: This Wilmington meetup is a smorgasbord of entrepreneurship panels, tech job fairs, civic app demos, and the like.
Data Science Conferences & Workshops in Delaware
Major data science conferences (e.g. Strata Data Conference, Predictive Analytics World, IEEE Conferences, SIGKDD, The Machine Learning Conference etc.) rarely visit Delaware. However, if you’re in the Wilmington area, you’re right next to events in Philadelphia and not far from Baltimore and Washington, D.C. One cocal option:
- Tech2gether: Held in Wilmington, this popular conference attracts data scientists from throughout the tri-state region. The program showcases new technology and allows for networking opportunities.
Data Science Jobs in Delaware
- Delaware Tech Park’s list of information technology companies and Technical.ly’s job board and its directory of tech organizations are useful places to visit. Even if you don’t see a data science job posted, it never hurts to contact the company directly.
We should also mention that for legal and financial reasons, tech startups often incorporate in Delaware. This doesn’t mean they’re physically based in Delaware; it just means that they’re favoring Delaware’s corporate laws and regulations.
Data Scientist Salaries in Delaware
According to Bureau of Labor Statistics data from 2018, computer and information research scientists (includes data scientists) made a median salary of $123,850 nationwide. There is currently no state specific data for Delaware.
Data Science Programs in Delaware
We found 1 university in Delaware offering Masters of Data Science programs (and/or closely related programs, like MS in Analytics / Masters in Business Analytics).
If you represent a university and would like to contact us about editing any of our listings, or adding new programs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.