Is Georgia on your mind for data science? Take a look at our guide to schools, research, job prospects, online alternatives, graduate scholarships, and networking opportunities! Already have Georgia Tech on your shortlist? Feel free to skip ahead to our list of all the data science programs in Georgia.
* No GRE Scores RequiredLearn More
Southern Methodist University
* No GRE required.Learn More
University of Denver
* GRE waivers are available.Learn More
University of California, Berkeley
* No GRE Scores RequiredLearn More
University of Dayton
* GMAT waivers are available to professionals with at least three years of business experience.Learn More
* No GMAT/GRE required to apply.Learn More
* GMAT waivers are available for qualified applicants.Learn More
Studying Data Science in Georgia
One exciting thing about Atlanta is its technology & innovation centers. If you haven’t visited Atlanta Tech Village, TechSquare Labs, FlatironCity, or any of the city’s other accelerators, now is the time.
Two other important names for data scientists to remember are the Technology Association of Georgia (TAG), which serves as a hub of useful info (e.g. jobs, events, training, etc.), and the open-membership Advanced Technology Development Center (ATDC), which is a major start-up initiative.
Data Science Research & Initiatives at Georgia Universities
It’s no accident that the ATDC is a Georgia Tech project. This famous university has socked a huge amount of money into Atlanta’s Tech Square area, and it’s deeply committed to big data. You’ll find it in US. News & World Report rankings for the top 10 of Best Graduate Computer Science Programs for 2020.
When you’re weighing degrees, here are some related points to consider:
- Georgia Tech’s interdisciplinary Institute for Data Engineering and Science (IDEAS) connects academia, industry, and government to accelerate big data technology adoption. One current project is a multidisciplinary research initiative aimed at predicting and designing emergent behavior.
- Georgia State University (GSU) is located in downtown Atlanta, and its data-driven Institute for Insight at the College of Business plays host to a variety of big data related events. Interestingly, GSU is turning big data on itself, operating a Graduation and Progression Success (GPS) program to increase graduation rates.
- Kennesaw State University, approximately 20 miles from Atlanta, offers a PhD in data science. Its Center for Statistics and Analytical Research (CSAR) is closely tied to business and offers training in SAS®.
- At the University of Georgia, you’ll find NSF- and NIH-funded work on metagenomics, epigenetics, geophysics, brain imaging analysis in the Big Data Analytics Lab; projects on big data, mobile and sensor systems, and cloud computing in its Data Intensive Pervasive Systems (DIPS) Lab.
Meanwhile, Georgia Southern University is standing up for small towns like Statesboro, using its Business Innovation Group (BIG) to support projects like the Innovation Incubator. The university also has research interests in health (e.g. Karl E. Peace Center for Biostatistics and Survey Research) and the cloud (e.g. Cloud Computing Solutions Research Laboratory).
Online Data Science Programs in Georgia
Distance learning is coming along in the Peach State. In 2013, Georgia Tech created a partnership with Udacity and AT&T to develop its online MS in Computer Science.
We cover general things to look for in an online data science program elsewhere, so here we decided to look more closely at state offerings.
Online Graduate Certificates in Data Science
When it comes to online graduate certificates, Kennesaw State is focused on the business end. Its distance learning options include online certificates in applied statistics using R or SAS®. Kennesaw State also offers online certificates in software engineering and systems engineering. If you’re trying to develop a particular set of skills, have a look at our master list of Online Graduate Certificates in Data Science. This has a list of online graduate certificates from schools across the country.
Online Master’s Degrees in Data Science
Georgia Southern has an MS in Computer Science with a concentration in Data Mining and Data Warehousing. Georgia Tech University offers an online master of science in computer science, from their partnership with AT&T and Udactiy.
Data Science Scholarships in Georgia
We chose to focus on university awards that would cover data science degrees in our listings, but don’t take this as the end! Your school’s Graduate Studies Office will have more information on general scholarships and fellowships and info on financial options.
Georgia State University
- Master of Science in Analytics (MSA) Graduate Assistantships: The MSA program has a limited number of graduate research assistantships. Assistants receive tuition waivers and a stipend.
- Robinson College of Business Graduate Scholarships: Robinson has a healthy number of scholarships open to graduate students, including those in the MSA program.
Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech)
- College of Computing Graduate Student Awards: The College hands out modest awards to graduate students (including MS in Computer Science students) each year. Awards honor teaching assistants, research assistants, and research.
Kennesaw State University
- CarMax Auto Finance Analytics Scholarship: Sponsored by CarMax, this merit-based scholarship is given to students enrolled in the Master of Science Degree in Applied Statistics (MSAS), undergraduates with a minor in Applied Statistics and Data Analysis at Kennesaw State University, and students pursuing a degree in management from the Coles College of Business.
- Graduate Assistantships: Kennesaw’s Graduate College offers Graduate Assistantships at several levels and in different categories (e.g. teaching, research, etc.).
University of Georgia
- Terry College of Business Assistantships and Scholarships
- Terry College of Business Graduate Assistantships: Terry administers the MBA in Business Analytics program, and it offers graduate assistantships to much of the incoming class. Assistantships include tuition waivers, a monthly stipend, and a discount on health insurance.
- Terry College of Business MBA Leadership Scholarship: Each year, Terry awards $1,000-$2,000 in the spring semester to a current MBA student who shows exceptional leadership. Students can nominate themselves.
- Terry College of Business Scholarships: In addition to the awards mentioned, Terry also offers a variety of scholarships, ranging in amounts from $5,000 to $20,000 per year, to its students.
Data Science Events in Georgia
Data Science Meetups & Communities in Georgia
As you might expect, a lot of data science meetups are in Atlanta. There are groups devoted to tools (e.g. Hadoop, Python, etc.), platforms, and special interests (e.g. The Business Intelligence SIG). Here are some of the larger ones with useful networking opportunities:
- Atlanta Big Data User Group: Open to anyone interested in big data issues, architectures, and solutions, this meetup often connects with other groups and partner organizations for events.
- Data, Cloud, and AI in Atlanta: This tool-based meetup is intended to give members a jump start with big data tools & applications, including Hadoop scripting, visualizations, and text analytics.
- Data Science ATL: Data Science ATL is focused more on techniques than on tools, and it frequently hosts partner events (e.g. General Assemb.ly “Meet and Hire”) and talks at venues like theGeorgia Tech Business Analytics Center.
- Data Science & Business Intelligence Society of Atlanta: This meetup has been going strong since 2010 and boasts over 4,800 members. There are training bootcamps, talks, and lots of partner events.
- Startup Atlanta Meetups:Startup Atlanta has put together a handy list of meetups and drinks events in the metro Atlanta area. These include the popular Atlanta Startup Village and Atlanta Startup Founder 101.
Data Science Conferences & Workshops in Georgia
Like other mid-size Silicon centers (e.g. Miami), Atlanta only occasionally hosts major data science conferences (e.g. Strata Data Conference,Predictive Analytics World, IEEE Conferences, SIGKDD, The Machine Learning Conference, etc.). Can’t afford the flights to New York City or San Francisco? Here are some local events to consider:
- Georgia Technology Summit: Hosted by the Technology Association of Georgia (TAG), this C-level summit attracts CEOs, CIOs, CTOs, and technology entrepreneurs.
- MLconf Atlanta: This one-day conference brings together machine learning experts from various industries, research fields, and universities to discuss the latest methodologies and applications.
- SuperNova South: SuperNova South is a 5-day event covering almost everything in tech (e.g. finance, mobile, start-up, cyber security, etc.) and is held in Atlanta.
- Venture Atlanta: Venture Atlanta aims to unite Georgia’s top technology innovators with top-tier investors. There are networking breakfasts, expert panels, fireside chats, company presentations, a Demo Day—the list goes on.
Bonus round: Every spring, the ATDC hosts an Advanced Technology Development Center (ATDC) Startup Showcase. This gives promising start-ups a chance to showcase their technologies and attract investors.
Data Science Jobs in Georgia
Georgia has start-up energy. Atlanta has spawned tech innovators like Kabbage, AirWatch (acquired by VMWare), Predikto, and Kanga, and centers like ATDC just keep on pumping out ideas. CBRE’s 2019 report on Scoring Tech Talent ranked the city #9 overall.
Plus there’s the needs of the establishment. Along with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Turner Broadcasting, UPS, Coca-Cola, Home Depot, and many other famous names, Atlanta can now claim General Electric.
Data Scientist Salaries in Georgia
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, in 2018 Computer and Information Research Scientists (includes data scientists) brought home an average of $100,140 per year. The top 10% of jobs had salaries of $153,090.
Data Science Programs in Georgia
We found 8 universities in Georgia offering Masters of Data Science programs (and/or closely related programs, like MS in Analytics / Masters in Business Analytics).
If you represent a university and would like to contact us about editing any of our listings, or adding new programs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.