Oklahoma City or Tulsa? University of Oklahoma (OU) or Oklahoma State University (OSU)? Our primer to earning an Oklahoma data science degree can help you decide! It has details on everything from research & scholarships to startups & salary numbers. Already have a university in mind? Skip ahead to our list of all the data science programs in Oklahoma.
* No GRE Scores RequiredLearn More
Southern Methodist University
* No GRE required.Learn More
University of Denver
* GRE waivers are available.Learn More
University of California, Berkeley
* No GRE Scores RequiredLearn More
University of Dayton
* GMAT waivers are available to professionals with at least three years of business experience.Learn More
* No GMAT/GRE required to apply.Learn More
* GMAT waivers are available for qualified applicants.Learn More
Studying Data Science in Oklahoma
Oklahoma is part of what is being called the “Silicon Prairie” which is considered as an up and coming tech market according to Zillow analysis.
The analysis looked at a variety of factors, including “market hotness”, housing affordability, labor market demographics hinting at a robust economy, market appeal based on commute times and other metrics, and an available pool of talent.
And the best news? There’s a lot of help. We’re talking:
- Techlahoma and the Oklahoma Center for the Advancement of Science & Technology (OCAST).
- Accelerators & incubators such as i2E.
- Communities such as 36 Degrees North (36°N).
- Biomedical research institutions such as the Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation and the OU Health Sciences Center (OUSHC).
For more on this front, check out the resource directory at StartupOK.
Data Science Research & Initiatives at Oklahoma Universities
Courtesy of their size, OSU and OU have invested in data science research. For example, OSU’s Spears School of Business has the:
- Center for Applied Economic Research (CAER): CAER is involved in public policy analysis & regional economic development and it often issues economic forecasts.
- Center for Health Systems Innovation (CHSI): In partnership with the OSU Center for Health Sciences, CHSI has a significant stake in healthcare data analytics. It developed the Health Data Shootout competition and encourages public service projects.
- Riata Center for Entrepreneurship: Riata hosts the OSU Startup Weekend and has lots of opportunities for budding entrepreneurs.
OU has equally interesting projects. For example, at OU’s College of Engineering, you’ll discover the:
- Analytics @ OU Lab: Although it covers a wide range of topics, this lab has a particular interest in predicting, mitigating, and recovering from natural disasters. It is, after all, in Tornado Alley.
- Risk-Based Systems Analytics Laboratory: This one takes a close look at data-driven decision making in engineering systems. That includes risk-based modeling for critical infrastructures and large-scale system sustainability.
If you’re considering the MS-MIT, the Price College of Business has an interdisciplinary Center for Management Information Systems Studies (CMISS) with strong ties to local businesses and member firms.
Online Data Science Programs in Oklahoma
We talk about general things to look for in an online data science program elsewhere, so here we’ve concentrated on what’s available in the Sooner State.
Online Graduate Certificates in Data Science
OSU’s Spears College of Business offers some 12-credit programs that have been developed in partnership with SAS®:
- Online Graduate Certificate in Business Data Mining: Suitable for working professionals with a technical background
- Online Graduate Certificate in Marketing Analytics: Suitable for working professionals with a non-technical background (e.g. BBA)
Data mining students can request a transfer of credit hours to the MS in Business Analytics. They’re also eligible to receive one of the following SAS® certificates (based on courses taken, certifications, etc.):
- SAS® and OSU Data Mining Certificate (core level)
- SAS® and OSU Predictive Analytics Certificate (advanced level)
- SAS® and OSU Marketing Data Science Certificate (expert level)
Marketing analytics students will receive the SAS® and OSU Marketing Analytics Certificate.
Online Master’s Degrees in Data Science
OSU is often in the top 35 of Best Online Graduate Business Programs (Excluding MBA) and its big data programs are offered on-campus or online. These include the:
- Online Master of Science in Business Analytics (MSBA): This degree was developed in partnership with SAS® and it tackles many of the hands-on applications needed for business. Coursework covers everything from statistics, analytics, and Machine Learning (ML) to marketing, business, and industrial engineering. SAS® certificates are available.
- Online Master of Science in Management Information Systems (MS-MIS): This is a designated STEM program that includes predictive & prescriptive analytics, data mining, warehousing, visualization, open source programming (e.g. R and Python), and the like. The focus is—naturally—on providing business solutions.
Want a hard-core data science program? OU ranks in the top 35 of Best Online Graduate Computer Information Technology Programs in 2019, and its online Master of Science in Data Science and Analytics draws on expertise from the Schools of Computer Science and Engineering. You can choose between a non-thesis practicum or a thesis-based research project.
Working in healthcare? Southern Oklahoma State University’s online Master of Science in Healthcare Informatics & Information Management may be the choice for you. The curriculum includes a research or a capstone project, as well as credit hours for professional practical experience.
Data Science Bootcamps in Oklahoma
If you live in Oklahoma and are interested in jump-starting a career in data science or data analytics, consider completing a bootcamp. Data science and data analytics bootcamps are intensive educational programs meant to quickly introduce students to the fields. Bootcamps in Oklahoma may focus on data science, the study of how knowledge is drawn from information; data analytics, the processes by which specific insights can be reached; or a combination of the two. See our guides to learn more about data science bootcamps or data analytics bootcamps in Oklahoma.
Data Science Scholarships in Oklahoma
We’ve highlighted university scholarships & assistantships that can specifically be applied to the school’s data program. But be sure to check in with the Graduate Studies Office! It will have more advice on general aid and alternative financing options .
Oklahoma State University
- MSBA Graduate Teaching Assistantships: OSU has a limited number of graduate teaching assistantships for full-time MSBA students on campus. Criteria include GMAT/GRE scores, undergraduate GPA, skills, professional experience, and performance.
- MS-MIS Graduate Teaching Assistantships: Similarly, OSU has a limited number of graduate teaching assistantships available for full-time MS-MIS students on the Stillwater and Tulsa campuses. As with the MSBA, assistantships are awarded through a competitive process.
University of Oklahoma Norman Campus
- MIS Scholarships: Every autumn, the MIS division has a special scholarship drive where it asks corporations and individuals to donate money for the following year. MIS & MIT students are welcome to apply for whatever funds are available through the Centralized Academic Scholarship Hub (CASH).
Data Science Events in Oklahoma
Data Science Meetups & Communities in Oklahoma
In addition to the groups below, Oklahoma City has a variety of hyper-focused meetups (e.g. SQL, Python, Ruby, etc.). You’ll find links to many of them in Techlahoma’s helpful list of user group meetups.
- Big Data in Oklahoma City: This data science meetup boasts over 1,000+ members) and meets on the first Thursday of every month. There are lots of practical talks, presentations, and networking opportunities.
- Data + Creativity OKC: Sponsored by Exaptive, this meetup is an intriguing mix. There are in-depth technical sessions, discussions on the role of humans & data, cross-pollination projects, and even nerdy movie nights.
- Tech on Tap Meetup: Hosted by Robert Half Technology, this occasional meetup is very informal. It’s a chance for data geeks to talk all things technology over craft beer, wine, and light appetizers.
- Tulsa Data Science: This meetup is the largest group in Tulsa and focuses on deep-dive skills, tool sets, and techniques—Machine Learning (ML), neural networks, supercomputer tours, etc.
Data Science Conferences & Workshops in Oklahoma
Oklahoma may not host major events such as Strata Data Conference,Predictive Analytics World, IEEE Conferences, SIGKDD, and MLconf. However, you’re not very far from cities such as Austin & Dallas or Boulder & Denver. Plus there are a few general conferences that may strike your fancy.
- INNOTECH Oklahoma: This event is the brainchild of InterWorks, Inc. Sessions tackle a number of data topics (e.g. security, the Cloud), though the conference is typically general in scope.
- OSU Data Science and AI Conference: Put this event on your calendar. It’s completely devoted to big data applications in every industry imaginable.
Data Science Jobs in Oklahoma
With a solid data science degree, you have many job opportunities in Oklahmona, especially in the capital city. In terms of fields, you might consider:
- Energy: Devon Energy & Chesapeake are Fortune 500 players with significant stakes in data, but Oklahoma City also plays host to GE’s Oil & Gas R&D Center and the headquarters of Continental Resources. In fact, companies like Phase 2/Drakewell, Oseberg Data, and Tulsa-based eLynx Technologies have made oil and gas data their personal specialty.
- Bioscience/Life Sciences: Oklahoma City’s Presbyterian Health Foundation Research Park is well-known for incubating bioscience ventures. Two of the state’s major success stories include Moleculera Labs (autoimmune neurobiology testing) and Cytovance Biologics (biopharmaceutical contract manufacturing).
- Data Science: InterWorks, a global data consulting firm, has its headquarters in Stillwater. Oklahoma City is also home to many startups such as Exaptive (data science applications), Tailwind (Pinterest analytics) and Datebox Inc. (dating services).
Plus, as we mentioned in the intro, remote work is not out of the question.
Data Scientist Salaries in Oklahoma
Computer and Information Research Scientists (includes data scientists) averaged $84,070 in 2018, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The average salary for the top 10% is $113,210.
Data Science Programs in Oklahoma
We found 3 universities in Oklahoma offering Masters of Data Science programs (and/or closely related programs, like MS in Analytics / Masters in Business Analytics).
If you represent a university and would like to contact us about editing any of our listings, or adding new programs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.