Wondering what the Mountain State holds for a tech lover? Check out this guide to earning a data science degree in West Virginia. It has details on WVU research projects and tech conferences as well as job tips and potential salary numbers.
* No GRE Scores RequiredLearn More
Southern Methodist University
* No GRE required.Learn More
University of Denver
* No GRE required.Learn More
University of California, Berkeley
* No GRE Scores Required
1Fortune Education, Best Online Masters In Data Science Programs 2022Learn More
University of Dayton
* No GRE/GMAT required to apply.Learn More
* No GMAT/GRE required to apply.Learn More
* GMAT score not required to applyLearn More
Just want to enroll? Skip ahead to our list of all the data science programs in West Virginia.
Studying Data Science in West Virginia
West Virginia has a data science sector on the smaller side – in 2020, the map of CompTIA’s Cyberstates showed that only 2.8% of the workforce were employed in the tech industry, ranking it 48th among the states. Startups and meetups are harder to find than in other states. And dedicated programs in big data are fewer.
But it’s not all bad news. TechConnectWV (TCWV) promotes economic development in West Virginia’s key sectors. And in TCWV’s resources, you’ll find a number of incubators, accelerators, and associations.
Data Science Research & Initiatives at West Virginia Universities
The other thing you’ll find in the area is West Virginia University (WVU).For example, it has a ton of research centers where you might find your data science skills being needed. Not to mention developments in UAV/Aerospace, Biometrics, the Center for Alternative Fuels, Engines and Emissions (CAFEE), and the Biostatistics Consulting Group (BCG) at the WVU Cancer Institute.
Are you hoping to turn your research work into profit?
- The Launch Lab is a startup resource center for students who wish to create new prototypes and products.
- The Health Sciences Innovation Center: Business Incubator offers facilities and support to life sciences startups – from both within and without the university.
- The WVU Innovation Corporation (WVUIC) provides access to WVU’s researchers, equipment, and test facilities.
Finally, we should mention Marshall University and its Center for Environmental, Geotechnical and Applied Sciences (CEGAS). Geospatial science plays a part in West Virginia’s industry sectors (think coal, forests, water, and transportation) and CEGAS has been around for a very long time.
Online Data Science Programs in West Virginia
WVU has one distance learning options, an MS in Business Data Analytics.
Online Master’s Degrees in Data Science
WVU’s online MS in Business Data Analytics is offered by the AACSB-accredited College of Business and Economics. It’s aimed at folks who have a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. business, statistics, engineering, economics, etc.) and want some exposure to the world of data. You’ll be expected to provide your work history on your application.
Coursework covers business intelligence, statistical techniques, data mining, database management, data visualization, ethics, and analytical tools. Students are also required to complete a capstone project.
Data Science Bootcamps in West Virginia
Live in West Virginia and interested in pursuing a career in data science or data analytics but unable to earn your master’s in data science? Consider completing a data science or data analytics bootcamp! Bootcamps are relatively short-term, intensive educational programs meant to practically prepare students for work in the field compared to a master’s degree. Bootcamps in West Virginia may focus exclusively on data science, the study of how knowledge is established from raw data, or data analytics, the processes by which specific conclusions can be drawn—or both data science and data analytics equally. See our guides to learn more about data science bootcamps or data analytics bootcamps in West Virginia.
Data Science Scholarships in West Virginia
We couldn’t find any specific university scholarships for WVU and Marshall’s big data programs. But please talk to the university’s Graduate Studies Office before you rule out any options. Universities will often help you find other sources of funding (e.g. low-interest loans, diversity scholarships, education grants, etc.).
Data Science Events in West Virginia
Data Science Meetups & Communities in West Virginia
In 2020, West Virginia had a number of meetups that never seemed to… meet up. Check Meetup periodically to see if any more regular meetings pop up in your area.
Data Science Conferences & Workshops in West Virginia
West Virginia can only dream of hosting big-name conferences like Predictive Analytics World (PAW) and SIGKDD. Having said that, it does have a variety of tech events with some valuable industry contacts. You could also consider a trip to Washington, D.C., Pittsburgh, or North Carolina.
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship Day at the Capitol: This one-day event in Charleston gives budding entrepreneurs a chance to network and meet key state officials. It’s sponsored by TechConnectWV and the TransTech Energy Business Development Program at WVU.
- TransTech Energy (TTE) Business Development Conference: Each year, this regional conference is filled with startup companies & researchers pitching their use of transitional technologies to reduce carbon emissions, promote advanced manufacturing, and build an energy-efficient future.
- Women & Technology Conference: Designed to remedy the under-representation of women in STEM sectors, this conference features speakers involved in technology research, private enterprises, the public sector, investing, and entrepreneurship.
- WV Bioscience Summit: Organized by the Bioscience Association of West Virginia (BioWV), this summit brings together folks from West Virginia universities, biotech companies, and technical assistance providers. Entrepreneurship is a big part of proceedings.
- WV Business Accelerator Bootcamp: This one-day event at the WVU Innovation Center is open to early-to-mature stage companies in the high tech, life science, or advanced manufacturing sectors. It’s designed to walk participants through critical growth stages.
Data Science Jobs in West Virginia
You’ll have to get creative to find a data science job in West Virginia. Traditional job boards like Indeed.com may have some listings.
Try talking to your professors about opportunities, networking at local conferences, and contacting businesses directly. Promising areas in the region may include:
- Fairmont: In addition to having its own Data Analysis & Signal Processing (DASP) team, with expertise in biometrics and analytics, the West Virginia High Technology Foundation (WVHTF) oversees the I-79 Technology Park.You’ll find businesses such as Electronic Warfare Associates, Inc., ManTech International Corporation, Northrop Grumman, and more. The NOAA Environmental Security Supercomputing Center (ESCC) is an anchor tenant! Not far from here are data-driven companies like Tygart Technology, TMC Technologies, and Global Science & Technology.
- Morgantown: WVU is a major source of jobs in this college town. Startups such as IstoVisio were grown on its campus and WVU Medicine is the state’s largest private employer. Morgantown is also the home city of Mylan Pharmaceuticals and a branch of the National Energy Technology Laboratory.
- Charleston/Huntington: South Charleston’s West Virginia Research Technology Park (WVRTP) can boast the Mid-Atlantic Technology, Research and Innovation Center (MATRIC). On top of work in chemical product research, engineering, and manufacturing, MATRIC has an Advanced Software Technologies team involved in GIS, high performance computing, AI, big data applications, and the like. Advantage Valley also has a helpful list of key industries & companies in the area.
Data Scientist Salaries in West Virginia
According to data from the O*NET OnLine in 2020, data scientists made an average $63,030 per year in West Virginia.
Last updated: April 2022
Interested in STEM Careers?
If you’re looking for information on career paths that involve STEM, see our guides below:
Data Science and Analytics Careers:
- Data Scientist
- Data Architect
- Data Engineer
- Data Analyst
- Business Analyst
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Financial Analyst
- Quantitative Analyst
Computer Science, Computer Engineering and Information Careers:
- Computer Engineer
- Computer Scientist
- Information Security Analyst
- Computer and Information Research Scientist
- Computer Systems Analyst
Marketing and User Research Careers:
Compare Careers and STEM Fields:
- Data Analyst vs Data Scientist
- Computer Science vs. Computer Engineering
- Cybersecurity vs. Computer Science
- Data Analytics vs. Business Analytics
- Data Science vs. Machine Learning
Related Graduate STEM Degrees
- Master’s in Business Analytics
- Master’s in Information Systems
- Master’s in Computer Engineering
- Master’s in Computer Science
- Master’s in Cybersecurity Programs
- Master’s in Accounting Analytics
- Master’s Applied Statistics
- Master’s in Business Intelligence
- Master’s in Data Analytics for Public Policy
- Data Science MBA Programs
- Master’s in Geospatial Science and
- Geographic Information Systems
- Master’s in Health Informatics
- Master of Library and Information Science
Related Undergraduate STEM Degrees
- Online Bachelor’s in Data Science
- Online Bachelor’s in Computer Science
- Sponsored: Computer Science at Simmons
Data Science Programs in West Virginia
We found 2 universities in West Virginia offering Masters of Data Science programs (and/or closely related programs, like MS in Analytics / Masters in Business Analytics). The university’s website will have the most up to date information on specific programs.
If you represent a university and would like to contact us about editing any of our listings, or adding new programs, please send an email to email@example.com.
This page includes information from O*NET OnLine by the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under the CC BY 4.0 license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.