Considering a career in data science? Wondering what exactly that entails? Welcome to your complete guide to professional advancement. We had fun writing it. We hope you’ll have fun reading it.
The Definition of a Data Scientist
Data science was developed to handle the flood of big data engulfing the world. A blend of statisticians, computer scientists and creative thinkers, data scientists have the:
- Skills to collect, process and extract value from giant and diverse data sets
- Imagination to understand, visualize and communicate their findings to non-data scientists
- Ability to create data-driven solutions that boost profits, reduce costs and even help save the world
Data scientists work in every industry – from the Defense Department to Internet start-ups to financial institutions – and tackle big data projects on every level.
adFeatured Online Program
Looking for a top-tier data science Master's degree that lets you keep your job and live where you want to?
Start your search with an online program that's recruiting data science students from around the US.
Designed for data science professionals, the University of California - Berkeley School of Information's Online Master of Information and Data Science prepares students to derive insights from real-world data sets, using the latest tools and analytical methods to interpret and communication findings in ways that influence decision-making. Delivered online, the program uses a state-of-the-art web-based platform that brings the unique UC Berkeley student experience to you - no matter where you live.
Click here for admissions information.
- Computer Software
- IT and Services
They may pay you good money for your efforts. Silicon Valley salaries for entry-level data scientists can reach six figures (see this article).
Schools Offering Master’s Programs in Data Science
Ready to make the leap? In our annotated list of great schools, you’ll find information on each program’s:
- Location and length
- Full-time, part-time and online options
- Concentrations and majors
- Courses, internships and real-world opportunities
Look for quality. Universities are scrambling to offer new degrees, but there’s no guarantee they’ll be worth the investment. Research the background of the program and professors. Search for solid partnerships with businesses and research institutions. Ask about job placement figures. You deserve a practical qualification.
Data Science Industries
Focusing on a particular industry? We’ve created a reference for past, present and future to help you prepare for what’s ahead. On each industry page, you’ll discover:
- A condensed history of data science within the field
- Current opportunities and developments
- Examples of vendors and big data projects
- Data-related risks and regulations
We don’t discuss many typical day-to-day tasks or job titles primarily because these vary widely among employers. Indeed, the first requirement on many job listings is flexibility.
Data Science Blog
Need more guidance? Grab a cup of coffee and browse our data science blog. We’ve included articles such as:
- Data Scientist Foundations
- Open Source Tools for Big Data Analysis
- New Technologies in Data Science
They’re all designed to provide you with a practical knowledge base to help launch your career.